MS Word 2013 intermittently scrolls up or down and freezes requiring closing program with Task Manager and losing text

For no reason in particular all of a sudden while I'm typing a document MS Word 2013, the document will starting scrolling either all the way up to the beginning of the document or scrolling down to the end of the document. The program is then frozen and the only way to resolve the problem is to go to the Task Manager close the MS Word Program and then restart and restore the document through document recovery. Unfortunately sometimes quite a bit of text hasn't been saved requiring me to retype.

This is extremely frustrating and since I'm a transcriptionist who types all day long. I lose time and money having to deal with this annoying problem.

I am using Windows 8.1 on a relatively new (2013) Toshiba  laptop with Intel Core i5.

Answer
Answer

Hello Gail,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

This issue might sometimes occur due to the touchpad on the laptop computer, which may get accidentally pressed while working on the document. Try disabling the touchpad and check if this resolves the issue.

In case the above does not work we need to check if the issue occurs while working in the Word Safe Mode. Let’s follow these steps to open Word 2013 in the Safe Mode:

Hold the Windows key down and press R, In the Run box that opens type winword /safe (note there is a space between winword and /) and click on Ok. If you are not able to open the Run box then follow this step. Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run and type in the command winword /safe and click on Ok.

This action will open Word 2013 in the Safe Mode. Check if it works normally and you are able to type normally without the same issue arising again.

If the application works fine in safe mode, disable the Add-Ins for the application and check the result.

• Click the File tab.
  • Go to Options.
  • Click Add-ins.
  • Select Com Add-Ins from the drop down window at the bottom of the box
  • Try disabling the Add-ins – clear all the options and click on OK to save the changes made. Note: In case you see some Add-ins getting checked again after applying OK it is still fine. Ignore and proceed further.
  • Close and reopen Word 2013 and check if it works fine and you are able to type normally without the document scrolling all the way down or up.  

After completing Com Add-Ins follow the same steps as above and check under Word Add-Ins to see if there are any Add-in there which needs to be disabled. If yes, proceed with the same steps as mentioned above.

Check if the above step helps you to resolve the issue.

Note In case if it works briefly and the issue returns after a while then make sure to navigate back to Com Add-Ins and Word Add-Ins (following the steps as detailed above) and remove / un-install the Add-ins from the list.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2023 Views 2,352 Applies to: