MS Word 2013 Crashes When I Touch Screen

Hello! This is my first time posting here. I run MS Office 2013 on my laptops, one a Lenovo G500s Touch and the other a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 2 15". Both have touchscreens and Windows 8.1. Every so often--while editing a heavily-edited and infrequently-saved document on the G500s and randomly on the Flex--when I t ouch the screen to scroll elsewhere in the document for editing, Word will freeze, the pages won't scroll, and then I'm told that "Microsoft Word has stopped working" and that the computer is "searching for a solution". Inevitably, the computer fails to find one and simply reboots the computer. I've nearly lost several college essays and lengthy novels to this infuriating issue; if not for the Autorecovery files, I might have taken drastic measures long ago. How can you avoid touchscreen crashes like this in Word 2013, short of disabling the touchscreen altogether? I've gotten quite used to scrolling up and down with my fingers and would rather not need to find a new office because of this. I have installed no add-ons for MS 2013 and I doubt my few installed programs are causing the issue. Any help please? Thank you!

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry that you are facing an issue with Word 2013 freezing and consequently the computer restarting on both your laptop computers. I will be helping you with this issue.

This issue may happen due to various reasons. In order to find a resolution for this issue, let us follow these steps to run the application in Safe Mode.

Try opening Word 2013 in the Safe Mode, and check if Word 2013 freezes while trying to scroll on the touchscreen. In order to open Word 2013 in the Safe Mode follow the steps as shown on the following Microsoft Resource article.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx

Note - The above article lists steps for all Microsoft Office 2013 applications, however, follow the steps to open Word 2013 in the Safe Mode.

Check if you were able to scroll normally on Word 2013 while working in the Safe Mode. If yes, then follow the next set of steps mentioned in the article to resolve the issue.

Hope the above steps help you to resolve your issue. Let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

For more on troubleshooting, work through the manual steps in the Knowledge Base article at http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 346 Applies to: