MS Word 2013 and APA formatting- Header and Page Number

One thing that should be simple, but I have found excessively difficult, is to write an APA (6th edition) style paper and to override the formats built into Word 2013.   In APA, there should be a {Running head: TITLE       page # } on the first page Header followed by {TITLE      page#} on the corresponding pages.  I have learned to choose "Different first page" to eliminate the words "Running head:",  but have had to research various forums and Help Tutorials to add a simple page number in conjunction with the title.  I have finally found the formula to adding page numbers, but from what I see from other Community members, this is not a problem that I alone have encountered. 

It seems to that there should be an options when selecting a Header template, that there should be an option to include page number.  I hope that Microsoft will add this as an update. 

Until then, the (complicated) solution from Microsoft Help is this:

Create your Header

TAB your cursor to where you want a page number to be positioned

choose Insert tab

click  Quick Parts > Field > Field names > page > 1, 2, 3... > OK

If someone has found a shortcut to this procedure, I would be happy to hear of it.

Thank you.

Answer
Answer
Once you have created the header content that you want, you can save it as a header building block for easy reuse (via Insert | Header | Save Selection to Header Gallery).

To quickly insert just a page number field, use Alt+Shift+P.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 9,761 Applies to: