Microsoft word won't open - registry error from upgrade to 8.1?

Howdy,

When trying to open Microsoft word (or any other office application - I have office '13), I get the following message:

Winword.exe - Entry Point Not Found
"The procedure entry point _vsnprin4 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d2d1.dll."

I read a suggestion to use Event View to see the error details and this is what it reported (please note is error generated below pertains to excel):

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 15.0.4667.1000, time stamp: 0x543d3243
Faulting module name: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d2d1.dll!_vsnprin4, version: 6.3.9600.17278, time stamp: 0x53eeb4a3
Exception code: 0xc0000139
Fault offset: 0x00098f05
Faulting process id: 0x210
Faulting application start time: 0x01d018e83f5689e6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d2d1.dll
Report Id: 82ef0769-84db-11e4-beb0-006b9e021b75
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any ideas where to go from here? Is this a result to my upgrade to 8.1 from windows 8?

Thanks!
Answer
Answer

Hi Doug,

You were indeed right - all I needed to do was a windows update!

Problems solved, and it was a cinch!

Thanks for your help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

See the Article “Why can’t I start my Office 2013 application at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx
If that does not help, then you might remove all traces of the Office installation by downloading the fixit from the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501 saving it to your computer and then running it.

Then reinstall Office by logging into
www.office.com/myaccountwith your registered email address and click Install Office.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2023 Views 611 Applies to: