Microsoft Office not responding, very slow

Hi 

I have Microsoft Office 2013 and recently downloaded Windows 8.1 update. Everything was working fine until this last week. Now Word & Excel documents are taking a very long time to open, and repeatedly freezing while working on documents. Outlook is also 'not responding' at times as well. After a couple of minutes the documens recovers itself and you can continue working but within a few moments the same problem will occur. Other times the document is forced to close. If I have more than one document open at a time it effects all of them. This is making doing any type of work extremely frustrating and tiresome. At first I thought this problem was due to Skydrive as all of these documents are saved via Skydrive. However today I transferred documents to my computer so no longer saving or opening from Skydrive. The problem still continues. 

I have been researching these issues and tried several solutions:

• Opened word in safe mode - opens quickly 
  • I have disabled all add-ins on Word & Excel
  • I have disabled hardware graphic acceleration 
  • I have ran an Microsoft Office online repair
None of these have had any effect.

Please can you help with find a solution.

Thanks

Hi,

Have you tried to disable the COM Add-ins in Word or Excel?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, there were two COM add-ins and I unchecked both. This did not help the problem.

Even when I open a document attached via an email the same issues occur- slow to open and freezes within seconds (even if I haven't actually done anything with document). Therefore I know the problem is not to do with where document has been saved/opened from but with Microsoft Office application.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kurl,

Let us follow the steps mentioned in the following link and check if it helps:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx

If the issue persists, since you have already tried the repair of Office 2013 and no luck, let us remove and re-install Office 2013 following the steps from the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Now download and install Office 2013/Office 365 by logging into www.office.com/myaccount with the registered email address and click Install Office.

Hope the suggestion provided is helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,121 Applies to: