Microsoft Mathematics Add-In 2013 for Word and OneNote won't work in Word 2013

I just downloaded Microsoft Mathematics Add-In 2013 for Word and OneNote. In OneNote, the "Mathematics" tab is displaying and I can use all the features.

However, the "mathematics" tab is NOT displaying in Office 2013. I can right-click on the other tabs and open a "customize the ribbon." It opens up a window where there are different options on the left side, and in the main part there is a place to choose commands or tabs to customize the ribbon, There are many tabs I can click to add or remove, however the Mathematics tab is not one of them. To the left, I can click on "Add-Ins" and I see that the Microsoft Mathematics Add-In is under "Inactive Application Add-Ins." I have tried to add it manually but when I go to the folder, none of the files work to add the Mathematics Add-In.

What do I need to do to make this work in Word? It is working FINE in One-Note and it's just driving me crazy.

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you are experiencing an issue with loading the Mathematics Add-in in Word 2013. I will be assisting you with this issue.

In order to resolve this issue let us try changing the LoadBehavior value for the Word Registry Key.

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow these steps to back up the registry:

Registry back-up for Windows 8:

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type in the following text regedit, and then press Enter.
  3. If the User Account Control window appears, click Continue.
  4. On the File menu, click Export.
  5. In the File name box, type a name that you will remember, such as Registry Backup.
  6. Select a location where you want to save the Registration Entries (.reg) file.
  7. Click Save.

Now navigate to the following Registry Key and click on the Word and select the Mathematics Add-in below the Word registry key to highlight it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\WORD\

Check in the window on the Right-hand side and you will see the LoadBehavior option. Check and modify the value for LoadBehavior to ‘3’. To modify the value you need to double-click on LoadBehavior.

Note: In case you do not find the Mathematics Add-in in the above mentioned location then look for the Add-in under the Word Registry Key in the following location.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\WORD\

After changing the value to 3 and saving the changes, make sure to close the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

Check now if you are able to see and use the Mathematics Add-in in Word 2013.

Try the above steps and let us know the result.

Thank you.  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 1,218 Applies to: