mail merge rules (Skip Next If) Not Working

I am using Word 2013 to create mailing labels using a data source in Excel 2013. There is a group of records that I wish to exclude from the mailing labels list, and these are designated in the Excel spreadsheet via a column titled EM and a value of Y. I insert the "Skip Record If" rule at the beginning of the label and set the parameters to field=EM, comparison to Equal To, and Compare To = Y. When I run the mail merge, the records that have Y in the EM field in the Excel data source are not skipped.

I then tried to use the Edit Recipient list as an alternate approach. I selected Edit Recipient List, then selected filter, and Field=EM, Comparison=Equal To, and Comparison With=Y. When I hit OK, I get an error message saying that the Value is not Valid. If I instead leave the Comparison With field blank, then it accepts the filter command, but does not filter out the records with a blank in the EM field.

Any advice on how to get Word to skip these unwanted records is very much appreciated.
Answer
Answer
I was not able to replicate that error use a data source in which I had an EM field and Y in some of the records.  Is there numerical data in the EM field in some of the records?  When mail merging, Word determines the type of data in each field by considering the first "n" records and if it had determined that the field contained numeric data, that could upset the operation of the filter when it came to a Y.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 7,304 Applies to: