Mail Merge problems

Hello, 

I am doing a big Christmas mail out for work and mail merge is giving me some problems (or, more likely, I don't have the knowledge to use it to my full advantage). I am using a letter in Word 2013 and a recipient list in Excel 2013. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give on the problems I am having, which include: 

1) I've formatted my Excel columns the way they are supposed to be. There are headings on the columns, the postal code is set up as text so I don't lose zeros in the merge, I've included my province's abbreviation rather than its full name, and I've made sure that all street addresses are typed with capital letters. However, when I view my recipient list and preview the inserted address and greeting fields in my document, I notice that Word chooses to ignore my formatting. My province is its full name (not the end of the world, but annoying because it's a long name), and street addresses are showing up un-capitalized. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it? 

2) When I ask to remove duplicates in the Edit Recipient List box, there are actually duplicates. Removing them won't be a big deal, I guess, but there are no duplicates in my Excel sheet, so why are they in Word? 

3) I want my greeting line to include ONLY my recipients' first names, not their full names. I have separate columns in Excel for both first and last name, titled FirstName and LastName (no spaces to screw it up). However, in Word, when I try to Match Fields for the greeting line I don't have the option to match with first or last name. That is to say, the drop down text boxes are there for the first and last name fields, just as they are for address and postal code and everything else you could match with. However, when you click the drop down boxes and see the list of options to match with, I only have Name. Not First Name or Last Name, just Name, which gives me their full name. Why is this happening? 

I understand that's a confusing set of questions, so I am happy to clarify as needed. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide :). I truly appreciate your time and effort. 

Best, 

Andrew 

Answer
Answer

Your description suggests you're using Word's AddressBlock field instead of ordinary mergefields. You will get better results if you use the latter (from the Insert Mergefield dropdown), which also means the formatting in the output document can be independent of the formatting in the data source. For example, you don't need to have the street addresses capitalized in the data source to have them show that way in the merge.

For general mailmerge advice, see 'Mailmerge Tips & Tricks' at:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/21803-mailmerge-tips-tricks.html
or:
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/163017-Word-Mailmerge-Tips-amp-Tricks

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,601 Applies to: