Mail Merge - Labels per page & formatting

Hello and thank you-

I am having two problems in trying to create labels from a mail merge.  The first is that somehow random spaces get added in when I link my data from Excel, even though the source formatting is consistent.  For example:

I want this:

John Smith

ABC Company

1234 Main St

City, State Zip

And occasionally with some labels I get this, or something else equally as unexpected:

John Smith

ABC Company

1234 Main St

City, State Zip

Second,  I am using the Avery 5162 template with 14 labels per page.  I have ~90 contacts to print labels for.  After I have linked my Excel data, and set up the fields, the first page looks correct except for the above issue.  However, each subsequent page begins at the contact one after the first contact of the previous page, and continues in order...

So for John, Sarah, Mike, and Abby, and assuming 3 labels per page, I get:

John Sarah Mike

Sarah Mike Abby

Mike Abby

Abby... producing 1 whole page for each of the contacts.

Heeeellllp!  I don't want to type 90+ addresses in by hand, this is 2014.

Answer
Answer

If you select Edit Individual documents from the Finish & Merge drop down in the Finish section of the Mailings tab of the ribbon, your merge will be executed to a new document and then if you click on the Show\Hide ¶ button, you will be able to see what is in the empty lines. 

Either you can then fix what is causing the extra spacing, or remove it in that document and then print that document to your label sheets.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 488 Applies to: