Lost links to and within inserted files

I have two word documents, Doc1 and Doc2.
Doc1 has a hyperlink to a bookmarked paragraph in Doc2.
Doc2 has internal hyperlinks from one bookmarked paragraph to another.
Stand alone this works.

However when I insert Doc2 within Doc1 (with insert object) the links do not work any more.
Can this be fixed?

Thanks
Rogier

Is there a reason for using hyperlinks internally rather than bookmarks & cross-references? Note also that inserting Doc2 into Doc1 doesn't change the addressing of any external links in Doc1.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Paul,
Hyperlinks are more practical for me. I convert a word into a hyperlink that jumps to another paragraph that has a bookmark before it. At that point the text is discussed in more detail.
There is no essential difference between hyperlinks and cross references or is there?
Anyway also cross references in Doc2 do no longer work after being inserted in Doc1.

Indeed the external link still works, but I wanted to have that link to the inserted document now. So the external link becomes an internal link in the combined document.

Rogier

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hyperlinks are more practical for me. I convert a word into a hyperlink that jumps to another paragraph that has a bookmark before it. At that point the text is discussed in more detail.
There is no essential difference between hyperlinks and cross references or is there?
Anyway also cross references in Doc2 do no longer work after being inserted in Doc1.

Indeed the external link still works, but I wanted to have that link to the inserted document now. So the external link becomes an internal link in the combined document.

Hi Rogier,

Cross-references can (and typically do) work in the same way as hyperlinks within a document - they just don't have the hyperlink formatting (unless you format them that way)

If your hyperlinks in Doc2 pointed to bookmarks with the same names as are used in Doc1, or to a selected range, that could explain why they no longer work. Only one instance of a given bookmark can exist in a document (the Doc2 one would be deleted) and, after insertion into another document, the selected range to which such a hyperlink pointed would no longer be in the same location.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paul,
I think I found the cause of the problem.
Above I inserted Doc2 as an object.
After inserting Doc2 as a subdocument in Doc1, the internal links in Doc2 continue to work.

I guess the links from Doc1 to Doc2 cannot be transferred to the main document.
Too bad.

Thanks anyway.
Rogier

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 58 Applies to: