Launching Word 2013 causes UAC to ask for permission to make changes.

Hello,

I have been having an issue when I launch Word 2013 it always asks for permission to make changes to the system. I have tried to run the compatibility wizard to fix the problem, since Windows 8 no longer has the compatibility tab in properties, and sometimes I can get it to stop asking, but after a few weeks it will start asking again. Or another issue I run in to is certain settings in the capability wizard will cause windows to no longer allow me to open documents downloaded in the chrome browser because an error comes up saying I need to repair Microsoft Office, which running repair doesn't fix the issue. The UAC prompt is just an annoyance and would be nice to no longer have it ask for no reason. It only asks when launching Word and not any other of the office suite programs.

Office 2013 Student

UAC setting: Default

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Locate the WinWord.EXE file in File Explorer and right click on it and select Run as Administrator.  If you accept the notice about making changes when running as Administrator, that may prevent the notice from appearing again when you start Word in the normal fashion.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It doesn't ask for permission when I launch Word using the .exe, but if I launch using the shortcut either pinned to start or to the task bar it still asks, even after running with Admin using the .exe . I even tried removing the shortcut and pinning the .exe directly, but it does not change anything.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Micheal,

As per the description provided, you receive the UAC prompt when you open Word application from the shortcut option.

Check if Word is running in compatibility mode.

To check follow the steps provided below then try to open Word and verify the status.

1. Start typing the application name Word 2013.

2. The result will be displayed below the search box.

3. Now right click on Word 2013 and click on Open File Location.

4. In the window right Click on Word --> Troubleshoot Compatibility --> Let the phase of detecting issues complete --> It would give you two options --> Select the second option --> Troubleshoot Program.

5. Here you would see several options listed. Uncheck all the option if found enabled.

6. Now save the settings and verify the results.

Let us know the result to assist you further.

Thank you.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Removing the compatibility settings did not fix the problem of it asking for permission and now the problem I had before where when I download a file and try to open the file from the browser the program fails to launch. It says Word has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Word will need to be closed as a result and asks to repair, which now it is not running the repair program, however I have run it in the past to no avail. The issue does seem to only happen when using Google Chrome to open the file.

The compatibility setting that was checked was worked in an earlier version of windows and I believe I had it set on Windows 7.

I also just noticed that currently it is only causing the UAC prompt when launching the program, it does not ask when trying to open a document.

I am currently running Chrome Version 38.0.2125.66 beta-m (64-bit), however I have experienced the launching issue over numerous Chrome versions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you start Word in Safe mode, by holding down the CTRL key while starting it, does the problem then occur.  If not, it would suggest that there is an Add-in that is wanting to make the changes to the system.

The thing to do then is disable all of the add-ins and start Word normally and add them back one at a time to identify the one that is causing the issue.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Both problems still occur even in safe mode. The UAC prompt appears before word even tries to start in safe mode. And the problem of failing to launch also happens when trying to open in safe mode. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

You may create new user account for Windows Operating System then check if the same issue occurs.

Refer to the article mentioned below on how to create new user account:

Windows 8.1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Let us know the result to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It still asks for permission to launch Word, requiring the admin password. The issue of not being able to open documents from Chrome did not occur however.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you right click on the WinWord.Exe application and then select Run as Administrator and if the prompt then appears, you accept it, does it then appear if you start Word in the normal manner?
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes it does unfortunately

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 2, 2023 Views 4,193 Applies to: