Is is possible to have 2 Normal.dotm templates operating at the same time, one for personal use, one for company-wide use?

In past versions of Word it was possible to create a Normal.dot template and rename it (we called ours DP.dot) which contained styles, macros etc. in use company-wide.  We were also able to have available a local Normal.dot that contained our own personal styles/macros etc.

This seems to be a little problematic with Word 2013 for renaming a "company-wide" "Normal" template meant we lost some functionality around auto-text conversion to Word 2013.  I've overcome that problem by renaming the DP.dot back to nORMAL.dotm so that (when viewing it from the Macro Editor/Organizer or when saving building blocks etc. it was easy to differentiate between the two Normal templates).

That gave me back the functionality I was looking for, but then I find that keyboard shortcut keys assigned to styles saved in the company-wide template (nORMAL.dotm) do not work.  Those shortcut keys will work if you have that template open, but not otherwise.  Also those often used company-wide styles are showing in the Quick Styles Gallery when that nORMAL.dotm template is open, but those styles are not showing in a blank document.  I am assuming this is because the blank document is created from the locally available Normal.dotm rather than the company-wide nORMAL.dotm.

How can I make those styles available in the Quick Styles Gallery or make the keyboard shortcuts for those styles work when nORMAL.dotm is just running in the background, rather than being the template behind the open blank document.

Maybe I'm going about this all the wrong way.

Any help in steering me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Bev

Answer
Answer
You want your template loaded as a global template (Add-In). To do that, it needs to be in Word's Startup Folder. It should NOT be named normal.dotm regardless of captialization.

Styles cannot run automatically from a global template other than normal.dotm. You can work around it with an AutoNew macro or a keyboard shortcut that loads styles from the global template into the new or active document.

Here is a link to an article I wrote on using a global template for styles:
A Global StyleSheet in Microsoft Word?

Paul Edstein wrote an elegant macro for doing this. It is posted in this thread.

Here is a link to an article on sharing customizations in Word other than Ribbon modifications.
Moving (Sharing) Customizations in Microsoft Word

For Ribbon modifications, see Greg Maxey's Customize the Ribbon (It doesn't take rocket science)

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2023 Views 2,815 Applies to: