Installed Office 2013 - grammar checker works but spell check doesn't

Hi,

I have installed Office 2013. In Word and Excel the spell checker doesn't work, although the grammar checker does. I have checked that the language is set correctly and that the Do not check grammar or spelling box is not set. It makes no difference if the suggest from main dictionary box is ticked or not. The hide spelling errors in this document box is not ticked. Any suggestions?

Hello Smith,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you with this issue.

Let's refer to the following threads which discuss about the similar issue and see if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/word-2013-spell-check-not-working/be6249a0-10f8-4f68-b1b0-a89d8e6e3e12?page=1&tm=1397462838516

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-word/spell-checker-not-working-in-ms-word/9b99222f-34f4-4fa1-823e-38ae90027da3?page=1

Hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I'll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry this hasn't helped at all.

I've gone through all the steps suggested but I still have the situation where the grammar checker works but the spell checker doesn't.

However when I press spell check I get an information message across the top that says'MISSING PROOFING TOOLS This document contains text in English (United Kingdom) whuich isn't being proofed. You may be able to get proofing tools for this language Download Never Show Again

I have tried this download several times. It tries to download an EN-US proofing exe. This seems to download correctly but it makes no difference. I am still stuck with the problem that Office will not spell check.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing it's an installation problem but I have no idea how to fix it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try repairing Office. If that fails, remove and reinstall and that should take  care of the problem
Truth is still truth, even if you don't believe in it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 956 Applies to: