Importing stylesheets in Word 2013

Prior to using 2013, I was able to import style sheets to existing (horribly formatted) documents without issue using the organiser (close, nave to doc with template with styles you want, copy them to the open file etc).

Now when I follow the process, the styles come across and the numbering and indentation remain intact however the font changes and each style needs to be modified/updated individually.

Is this a known problem and is there a workaround or am I totally missing something?

This is killing me and I've burned more than enough time on it!

Thanks in advance.

The success you have in importing styles depends heavily on how the styles are defined. In the last few versions of Word there are additional theme layers for Fonts and Colors. This can have a large effect on the styles imported into the document if they are defined to rely on the theme fonts and colours.

As an example, check the style definition of one of the styles which is appearing in the wrong typeface after importing the style. Is the typeface listed as 'fontname' or 'fontname (Body)'? The second option shows that the style is not actually defined to use fontname as its font but instead uses whatever font is chosen for body in the Theme Font.

You can choose to apply a different font theme by going to Home > Change Styles > Fonts. If changing your font theme results in a considerably different looking document then you have the choice of either modifying your theme to use your preferred fonts or modifying each style that uses the 'theme' fonts to specify the font explicitly (ie independent of the theme font).

Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2024 Views 475 Applies to: