I lost my password for an important word doc, how to retrieve password or the doc?

I lost my password for an important word doc, how to retrieve password or the doc?
In theory you should not be able to do that.

There are some exceptions. If you are in a corporate network and have things setup correctly in advance, there is a tool that administrators can use
Stripping a Microsoft Office password from a document with DocRecrypt

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/Stripping-a-Microsoft-Office-password-from-a-document-with-DocRecrypt

Microsoft Office 2013 crackable, so look to Office password recovery

http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/Microsoft-Office-2013-crackable-so-look-to-Office-password-recovery

What's the big deal, you say? Well, Microsoft Office 2013 has a revamped password-protection scheme presumably employing stronger hashes and encryption keys. But Elcomsoft has found flaws in the implementation that allows its Advanced Office Password Recovery and Elcomsoft Distributed Password Recovery tools to "crack" these passwords instantly (for write-protected files) or via brute force in a relatively short period of time (for opening-protected files).

No Office 2013-generated file is immune. Passwords in business applications such as Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Word are all fair game.

Downloads that are related to Office 2013 Password security

·      DocRecrypt tool (See Remove or reset file passwords in Office 2013 for more information)

·      Security in Office 365 white paper

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 19, 2024 Views 2,489 Applies to: