I can't edit my Word papers after I save them. Help?

Im running windows 8 and my word is word 13. I cant edit my papers after I save them. When I open them again to work on them my computer says that they can only be read and I cannot edit the.

Thanks!

And can you create new word docs?

If not, did you actually purchase an Office 2013 edition, or are you using the preinstalled trial version?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I type the paper and it saves as a "docx." file but when I try to open it again it will only open but I cant go back and edit it. It tells me "the modification is not allowed because the document was opened for viewing only."

75 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And can you create new word docs?

If not, did you actually purchase an Office 2013 edition, or are you using the preinstalled trial version?

No I purchased the full version so I have access to everything. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I type the paper and it saves as a "docx." file but when I try to open it again it will only open but I cant go back and edit it. It tells me "the modification is not allowed because the document was opened for viewing only."

Your document is probably locked by previous instance of save activity.  Is it on local hard drive, NAS or network share?  If it is on local hard drive, logout and login can kill all pending actions and free the file lock.  Of course reboot can help but this is not 100% necessary.

This is even common when your document is residing on NAS or non-Microsoft, or old version network share (like Windows 2000).  In this case, you need to unlock the file from NAS or server.  You might need your network administrator to help or even they have no way to help except rebooting the server or killing some server process (!!).

To minimize the trouble, a better alternative is to "Save as..." another document and continue to work, and let the old file automatically unlocked after sometime, then you can save back the original name.

Lawrence

Lawrence

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your document is probably locked by previous instance of save activity.  Is it on local hard drive, NAS or network share?  If it is on local hard drive, logout and login can kill all pending actions and free the file lock.  Of course reboot can help but this is not 100% necessary.

This is even common when your document is residing on NAS or non-Microsoft, or old version network share (like Windows 2000).  In this case, you need to unlock the file from NAS or server.  You might need your network administrator to help or even they have no way to help except rebooting the server or killing some server process (!!).

To minimize the trouble, a better alternative is to "Save as..." another document and continue to work, and let the old file automatically unlocked after sometime, then you can save back the original name.

Lawrence

I save the document to my computer and then when I try to open it again and the only thing it will let me do it read it. Ive tried saving it to my OneDrive and i still cant open it to edit it. I can do it on another device(ive tired opening it on my phone and it works fine) but when I try to open it on my word application on my computer is when it wont let me. I can also go to the OneDrive website and open and edit it there but I don't get the full features.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Check the following: File -Options - advanced - general section - allow opening a document in draft view. Make sure this box is unchecked.

Maurice

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, even though the box "allow opening a document in draft view" is unchecked.

Here's what I figured out:

I've downloaded the document from internet (I trust the source 100%) - it's a document that needs to be filled out. (oh, the irony)

document was originally .dot - but this problem occurred, so I've saved it to .docx but problem remained.

In the past (like 5 months or so ago) with such kind of secured internet fill out documents I could always click to modify the document, but now I do not have that option - even though it is still the same word 2013 version on same windows 8 laptop

- However, when I open the document in word 2010 on windows 7 desktop I can click the button "modify the document" (actually not sure if I'm saying this right - I work with dutch version of word) I can then modify the document, save it, reopen and 'remodify' it without ever having to click the "modify document" button on that desktop again.

- When then I save the document on the desktop PC, mail it to myself, save or directly open it on my W8 laptop I also have the "modify document" button (and I'm able to modify) (at least the first time)

- After saving again, closing and reopening the doc on laptop, I cannot modify it again and there's no "modify doc" button.

Is it an office or a windows problem I wonder?

greetings

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See the article "I keep getting files that I am working on locked for editing. Word only allows me to open them read-only” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To get to the protected view options, open Microsoft Word 2010 and then go to file and options.

On the left column click Trust Center and then click Trust Center Settings.

Now on the left column click Protected View and uncheck any documents you would like to open automatically with Protected View disabled. This will allow you to edit the documents without needing to enable editing but may also make your computer an easy target for zero day virus exploits.

Once you   un-check all the settings you want you can close the windows. Repeat these steps for Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint if you want to disable Protected View there too.

Thank you....

THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU......

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 10,848 Applies to: