How to stop screen autoscrolling right when adding comments in Word 2013

Hi there,

I'm a proofreader and use Word 2013 to mark up documents and add comments. 

As I use a net book, it's difficult to view the whole document plus the comments pane on the right all on one screen without zooming out so much that the font is no longer legible.

This makes it very frustrating when I'm editing as when I add a comment, the screen autoscrolls to the right so I can only see half of the document and the comments pane, then I have to manually scroll the screen back to the left to continue reading the document.

I don't want this to happen as I need to be able to see what I'm commenting on rather than the comment itself, which I touch type so I don't need to see what I'm typing. Basically, I want to be able to look at the document and type the comment at the same time without the screen moving.

I've tried hiding comments in the view options but as soon as I type another comment, they reappear.

Please can someone let me know whether this is possible as it's driving me nuts and I've looked through all the Options menus and can't find a solution.

Thanks,

Ameesha

Hello Ameesha,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Let me assist you with Word issue.

You may change the screen resolution using the following links and check if it helps.

Get the best display on your monitor

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/get-best-display-monitor

Make the text on your screen larger or smaller

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/make-text-screen-larger-smaller

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In the Tracking section of the Review tab, first click Show Markup and select Balloons > Show All Revisions Inline. That gets rid of the balloon display. Then click Reviewing Pane and choose either of the options, horizontal (which defaults to displaying across the bottom of the Word window, but you can drag it to the top or make it "float") or vertical (which defaults to the left side but can be dragged to the right).

In this configuration, when you click the New Comment button, the cursor will go into the Reviewing Pane, but the document itself won't scroll. If you want the balloons to appear for printing, you can choose Show Markup > Balloons > Show Revisions in Balloons.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your reply. I tried the review pane approach today and it's much better than the balloons in the sense that I can see it all on one screen. However, it's just created a different problem as the review pane is incredibly slow! In particular, tying to type a comment is very slow, and the comments don't autcorrect in the review pane, nor switch to an initial capital so generally require editing, which is also super slow. The chapters I'm editing tend to have several hundred changes from the editor who worked on it before me and I need to see the markup from previous editors so I can't just hide their changes. 

What I'd really like is a way to just switch all comments off until such time as I need to see them (for example, reviewing them at the end of editing the document), and not have them pop up every time I write a new comment (sort of how FoxIt PDF reader works if you know it - there's a "show all comments" and "hide all comments" button.)

As many book editors use Word, I find it difficult to understand why such an obvious requirement is so difficult to achieve!

Appreciate your help and would love to know whether you have a workaround!

Kind regards,

Ameesha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Raju,

Thanks for your reply but neither of these resolve my problem.

The problem is that the horizontal scrollbar automatically scrolls right when I type comments. I want to either lock the horizontal scrollbar so I can just see the document and not the comments, or not have the balloon or review pane appear when I type comments. I can touch type so I don't want to see the comment, I want to see the document I'm commenting on.

There must be a way to hide all comments until I wish to view them and not have them pop up every time I type a new comment - it's a pretty simple thing that I should be able to do as a book editor.

Thanks,

Ameesha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ameesha,

I'm using a full-size desktop computer, so I'm not finding that the reviewing pane is slow even with hundreds of comments and revisions from multiple authors. I sympathize, but it seems your netbook is a bit underpowered for that purpose.

An alternative that might help is to use "Simple Markup" instead of the reviewing pane, and keep Show Markup > Balloons set to "Show revisions in balloons". If there are no tracked revisions in the document, you can turn on Simple Markup by changing the All Markup dropdown in the Review > Tracking group on the ribbon. (Once there are tracked revisions, you can click any change bar to switch back and forth between Simple Markup and All Markup.) In that view, comments are represented by small empty balloons in the right margin, and revisions are represented only by change bars in the left margin. You can click any balloon in Simple Markup to display that individual comment, and press Esc to hide it again.

When I add a new comment in Simple Markup, it displays in a box floating over the document area, not a balloon in the right margin, and there is no horizontal scrolling. I hope this works the same on your netbook.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jay,

As it happens, the reviewing pane jams up my work computer too and I've noticed several threads on here discussing the same issue so I don't think it's just my netbook. 

Anyhow, I tried what you suggested above and it works really well in that the comments appear in bubbles. However, I can't use simple markup view as I have to be able to see the markup of the previous editors as I'm reviewing their edits as I go through and ensuring they haven't inserted any errors. 

No worries, thank you for your help and I guess there isn't a solution to my problem. I'll continue to use Word like a typewriter where I have to scroll back to the left when I've finished a comment... :D

Kind regards,

Ameesha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2023 Views 294 Applies to: