How to make cover page template permanent and not disappear

I would really appreciate help in this issue, as my company is in need of help.

We are trying to create a global cover page within microsoft word that all employees can use.

I created a custom cover page and currently, if you click "Insert-> Cover Page->" it appears perfectly. But when I send it to someone, it disappears, and the custom cover page is no longer there.

How can we make the custom cover page appear for everyone through different versions?

Thank you!!!
Cover pages are in building blocks. These do not work in versions of Word before Word 2007. However, they are converted to text when you use SaveAs to save as a .doc format document.
You could take your document/template with the cover page and save it in a .doc/.dot format.

Are you saying that if you put a cover page in a document and send the document out the cover page disappears? How are you inserting the cover page? What are you sending to people who can't get that content? What versions of Word are they using?

You could convert your Cover Page content to AutoText without the CoverPage tag. It would then lose some of the advantages of that designation, though.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes that is correct. If I put the cover page in a document and save as a template, when someone opens on their computer, the cover page is no longer there. We are all using Word 2013

Currently the cover page is categorized as "report". Would maybe saving it as "built-in" allow it to be permanent? 

I'm essentially trying to create a rock solid document/universal template in which everyone can open it, and have the same custom cover page available.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I cannot replicate that behavior here.  With a document created in 2013 into which I inserted a cover page and then saved it as a template and then copied that template to another computer and then created a file from that template, the cover page was intact.

What happens if you create a new document from that template on your computer, or you open the template itself, is the cover page still there?

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What happens if you save as a document. Documents cannot contain building blocks, templates can, but not .dot templates.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Once a building block cover page is inserted into a document\template, it is no longer a building block, just text, graphics and Content Controls.

I am not sure with what "Different Versions" V. Chun has to deal, but from 2007 onwards, there should be no issue.  There will however be an issue with 2003 as that version cannot handle Content Controls and they will be converted to ordinary text (It would have been nice if they were converted to macrobutton no macro fields but I can appreciate that may not have been feasible).

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2024 Views 3,903 Applies to: