How do I insert a date field quick part which updates only when the file is modified?

Hey guys,

I'm currently using Word 2013. I'm fairly new to using Quick Parts and I'm having some trouble. I'm trying to create a Date Field in my document that updates only when the document is modified. Currently, I'm able to add the field but any time the file is opened, it automatically changes the date. Even if I don't make any changes. Is there any way to do this? I appreciate any help i can get.

Replace the Date field with a SaveDate field.

You can either use the Insert > Quick Parts > Field dialog and choose SaveDate in the list, or you can right-click the existing Date field, choose Toggle Field Codes, and change the word DATE to SAVEDATE; then press F9 to update the field.

Of course, the first time you save the document after changing the field, it will show the current date, because you just saved it. However, it won't update again until you make some other change and save again.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You could use the SaveDate field instead, but that only changes after the document has been saved (not simply modified but unsaved) and with the field being updated. If it is in a header or footer, it will be updated when you print.

Note that updating the field is itself a modification and will prompt you as to whether you want to save changes.

See Using Date Fields in Microsoft Word.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 4,220 Applies to: