How do I delete the thin lines at the top of the End Note pages in a long document?

I am working on a long document. In the beginning I was using foot notes but at the 40,000 word mark I decided that end notes would work much better as a few of the notes were long. I went through the foot note to end note conversion process and it worked--almost. I now have five pages of numbered end notes that look pretty good except there is a thin black line inside a dotted line box all the way across the top of each page and a shorter, additional, line (about 1/3 page width) on the first page.

How do I delete these lines? I can not highlight them, click on them or edit them in anyway and I really do not want them. A couple notes: If I highlight the entire end notes section, the lines in boxes remain un-highlighted. In draft mode, the lines don't show, they are not there. In page borders my default is none.  

Answer
Answer

Switch to Draft View.

On the References tab of the ribbon, in the Footnotes group, click Show Notes.

You will now see the endnotes in a separate pane.

At the top of the pane you'll see a dropdown labeled Endnotes:

Select Endnote Separator from the dropdown menu.

You can now edit the short line. For example, you can delete it by clicking before it and pressing Delete twice, or by selecting it and pressing Delete.

Next, select Endnote Continuation Separator from the dropdown menu.

You can now edit/delete the long line.

Select All Endnotes to see the endnotes again, and switch to Print Layout view to see the full page.

---
Best wishes, HansV
https://www.eileenslounge.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2023 Views 212 Applies to: