How do I create multiple lists of figures (and tables) in a Word 2013 document?

I am working in a Word 2013 document.  The document consists of a body and multiple appendices.  Both the body and the appendices have both tables and figures.

The table and figure numbers in the body begin with a chapter number (Heading 1).  I had a hard time trying to figure out how to number the tables and figures in the appendices with an Appendix letter prefix (tables with captions at the top and figures with captions at the bottom).

I decided to manually number the figures and tables in the appendices and created a Table Title style and a Figure Title style for those elements.

Now I'm trying to create two lists of figures (and tables) one right after the other, one using the caption label for the figures (tables) in the body and the other based on the style that I set up for the appendices.

The first list of figures (tables) for those items in the body of the document is created without problem.

However when I try to insert a second list of figures (tables) based on style, I get a question asking me "Do you want to replace the selected table of figures?"  The only options are "OK" or "Cancel".

I have tried adding paragraphs after the first list of figures and even a section break, but I still get the question "Do you want to replace..." and only the "OK" and "Cancel" options.

Can someone advise me how to create two lists of figures one following the other?

If you do NOT have the selection in the first Table, the dialog that appears will be

and if you click on No, the other one will remain in place.

You are getting a dialog with only the OK and Cancel, because the cursor is in or immediately adjacent to the first Table.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 8,509 Applies to: