How can the "word-count" function be disabled in Word 2013 (now crashing for lack of intelligence as Japanese does not count well)?

With Word 2003 on XP, my million or so character doc file never crashed on me after I went to options and unchecked the embed linguistic something or other in "Save."  With Word 2013 and Win7 ultimate, I am afraid I have constant trouble with the same word docx (I think an x was afdded after it was converted) overuse (up to 100%) of the cpu in my considerably bmore powerful Lenovo.  I had to reduce the saves to once per 30 min rather than every 10 minutes and take great care with how I coordinate my use of the find and my editing etc not to cause a freeze and have to close/restart the program.

My guess is that the word-count is a contributing factor because Japanese does not so easily divide into words as English and due to the lack of AI in Word (it has not come close to approaching the intelligence of Japanese writing software I used in the 90's!) I have had to make common clusters of words into "words" in the dictionary as well. and that could confuse it more.   I searched and searched and googled and binged and can find no way to kill the word-count function (not display) of a document. Only characters would be so damn simple.

When one does major research and writing projects with much taxing (categorizing and re-categorizing) involved, the doc must be kept in one-piece for constant finds and moving and adding and subtracting. 

One weird thing -- Though the doc has under 2000KB, Word starts work on it in the 10's of thousands and the working memory (I check the ctrl shift esc) has gotten as high as 450,000. It slowly builds over the course of my 18hr work=play days.   Does Word have no regulator built-in????

Unless Microsoft can get my Word capable of working with a million character document, I must shop around for better software!

Help!

Not sure if you can disable the word count feature within word 2013.
As far as the issue with working with larger files, send feedback to ms and see if anything changes later on.
Trying to be helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have managed to get much more work done by switching from the Microsoft recommended view to the performance choice.  It makes the lettering look ugly and trickier to move things as you cannot se where things are going and you cannot even see your fotos BUT using that setting, the run-away memory of 2013 Word stops aiming to reach a kb for every word (the highest so far about 450,000; but it would have gone higher if I kept the word.doc open!). Today, I worked over 12 hours and it remained only 70,000kb -- no larger than Acrobat (itself far far too large a drain for the small file I am using).

I have kept trying, looking everywhere, to no avail.  I fear that the word-count is (like the light grey borders wasting almost 20% of my limited and therefor important workspace -- and hurting my eyes, not to mention aesthetic sensibility) unchangeable until MS realizes there is a need to fix it.

My impression of the latest pcs and software is that all the makers care about are games . . . .

As far as feeding back to ms, I am unsure how. This forum is easy to use, but when I try to ask MS I seem to run into a stupid virtual robot . . . what I'd like is a good email address!

Rise, Ye Sea Slugs!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can not modified somme things in my file

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This link may help you send feedback:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Office/feedback.aspx?formID=375

You could also try calling support to report these issues,

Trying to be helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 78 Applies to: