How can I stop Word 2013 from automatically resizing my tables?

I have just upgraded to Microsoft Office 2013 (15.0.4535.1507) MSO (15.0.4535.1507) 32-bit, Part of Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus, from Office 2007, and I'm having extreme difficulty in getting Word 2013 tables to behave as I'm used to.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. [Insert] tab > Table > Select 3x3 Table (using the graphical display)

2. Select the top row of the table and choose  'No Border' from the Paragraph section under the HOME tab

- So now I have a 3x3 Table with Row 1 as a dotted gridline border, and Rows 2 & 3 with visible, black, 0.5 pt borders

3. Right-click on the table and select Table Properties from the menu

4. Check Preferred width and set it to 18 cm

Okay... all good so far.

Now I want to the first column to be 2 cm, the second column to be 2 cm, and the third column to be 14 cm.

5. Left-click and drag the border to the right of the first column, and drag it to the 'snap-zone' of the 2 cm mark on the ruler.

At this point, I want to make sure that the column is indeed now exactly 2cm, as from years of working with Word 2007, sometimes it snaps to 1.75 cm, or 2.25 cm... so it's just a matter of dragging it and snapping it over one click either left or right.

I check the table properties, however, and the while the table is still set to 18cm, it now has an indent from left of 0.01 cm, and a column width of 2.24 cm. I find this very confusing, as Word 2007 would only let you snap to increments of 0.25cm, so how could it be snapping to 2.24 cm, instead of either 2.25 cm or 2 cm.

So now I drag the column border one click left to the next 'snap zone' (which, theoretically' should be the 2 cm mark), but when I go back into the table properties, I see that it now has an Indent from left of 0.02 cm, and the column width is 1.98 cm.

I have tried using the table properties to manually input a zero (0) as the Indent from left, and then manually input a 2 for the Preferred width, but when I [OK] out of the properties, and then go back into it again, the numbers have reverted back to 0.02 cm and 1.98 cm, respectively.

From this point onward, it seems that every time I click and drag one of the column borders (whether it's left or right), Word adds another 0.01 cm to the Indent from left, and takes another 0.01 cm away from one of the column widths. If you look carefully, you can even see the entire set of columns (and the table) shifting slightly to the right after I let go of the mouse.

I have already tried:

- having the [Alt] key pressed as I drag the column border, but as soon as I release the mouse button, the slight shift to the right occurs

- unchecking the Automatically resize to fit contents option

- zeroing the Default cell margins

- turning of AutoCorrect

- unchecking Update document content while dragging

- Use subpixel positioning to smooth fonts on screen

... but nothing works.

As a personal preference, I like all of my tables, columns, and rows to be exactly divisible by 0.25 cm, as it's the only way I can be sure that on every document that I create, the tables will appear uniform.

Any advice on my automatically adjusting tables?

I would just go straight to the Table Tools>Layout>Properties dialog and set the column widths to 2cm, 2cm and 14cm.

Doing that here just now in Word 2013 did not present any problems or the offset issue that you mention.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 10, 2023 Views 5,674 Applies to: