HOW CAN I REPAIR THE SLOW RESPONCE PROBLEM THAT I HAVE WHEN WRITING AND BACKSPACING IN WORD TABLES OF OFFICE 2013?

Hi everyone, I made some tables in Microsoft Word 2013 to write some census data and I have a slow response problem when writing and backspacing. It is time consuming because I have to wait some seconds to see the display of words and the same occurs when eraising a word with backspace. I uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Office Professional Plus and activate but the issue was not resolved. I own a new Gateway notebook with 64bits Windows 8 operational system. 

Hi,

As I understand Word responds slowly while working on it. Let me assist you with the issue.

The issue might have caused due to add-in. Open Word in safe mode and check if it works fine. If Word works fine in safe mode then disable the add-ins and check. Follow the steps mentioned below to open Word in safe mode:

·         Close Word.

·         Press the windows key+R on the keyboard to open the Run window.

·         In Run window and type winword /safe

Note: There is a space between 'Winword' and '/'.

If you are able to work with Word without any problem then the issue might be due to add-ins. In order to disable the add-ins follow the steps given below:

·         In Word, click on File< Options< Add-ins.

·         Under Manage select COM Add-ins.

·         Click on GO options beside Manage, uncheck all the add-ins and click Ok.

·         Try to open Word and check if it works fine.

I hope the above suggestion helps. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Addins is a good place to start.  If that does not help, take a look at the new 2013 "Animation" feature. Although I didn't find it as annoying as you did in Word, in Excel animation alone was enough to convince me to dump 2013:

Slow Excel 2013 - Rubber band effect, delayed Response time when typing – Disable Animation feature

In Office 2013 MS added a funky new UI feature called “Animation”. It is supposed to “smooth out”, or some such nonsense, cursor movement in the applications. I first noticed it in Excel 2013. I found it so annoying that that “feature” alone was enough to completely turn me off from using the whole Office 2013 bundle. Fortunately, or not (?), I found these fixes.

<snip> Hi, I have exactly the same problem, Excel2013.

Just opened a new spread sheet, typed the nr 1 in cell A1 to A22, took me about 10 seconds.

Took excel 55 seconds to display, looks like slow motion.  </snip>

The article in the first link has a link to another article with a downloadable file that will make the change without you having to edit the registry manually

There's an easier fix for the "rubber band" animations in Excel - just turn them off in File menu > Options command > Advanced option > Display section > turn on “Disable hardware graphics acceleration”

*********** Registry Hacks *********

http://winsupersite.com/article/office-2013-beta2/office-2013-tip-disable-animations-143779

- Reg hack

http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/07/21/disabling-animations-in-office-2013/

- Reg hack

Note, you may have to also add the “Graphics” key.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Graphics]
"DisableAnimations"=dword:00000001

To see the effect of disabling Office 2013 animation, you’ll need to reboot your computer. 

To reverse the effect, change the value of the added DWORD to its default of 0.

Alternate, related solution

I'm using Windows 8, and found a different solution there:

To disable Windows animations (this is secondary IMHO, but may be required):

·      On the metro start screen type Edit,

·      <tab>, <down Arrow> to then move the search results down 1 to "Settings"

·      "Edit system environment variables" is the first thing in second column on my search results, yours may vary

·      double click on it

·      provide the admin password to display the "System Properties" dialog

·      In the "Advanced" tab, Performance section, click on the "Settings..." button to display the "Performance Options" dialog

·      Personally, I prefer to select the "Adjust for Best Performance" option to get rid of the frilly "bells & whistles" that do not contribute to efficiency of my system.

·      At a minimum, confirm that the "Animate controls and elements inside Windows" option is disabled/unchecked.

·      Click on Apply

·      OK out

·      boot the computer

Under options > advanced > turn off  “allow editing directly in cells”

Here is another idea worth looking at :<snip>

I have had this problem also when authoring user guides.

Eventually I found that if I switched off the "Maintain compatibility" check box in the Save As dialog the problem disappeared.

Word may be scanning each element to make sure it maintains compatibility.

See this screen capture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/djupspb2572kd9i/Word%20Slow%20Typing.png

</snip>

**************** OT *****************

In addition you may find these tips of interest
Calming Down the Grandpa in Office 2013 - Fix UC Tab - Upper Case Tab - Capital Tab

http://ricbret.wordpress.com/2013/01/

Graphic instruction for fixing the all upper case tab labels design mistake

Video to change “Theme” and Application “Backgrounds”

http://ricbret.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/the-first-thing-to-do-to-your-new-powerpoint-2013/

- Video instructions

Change Office Theme

Curiously it's not in Outlook.  Open Word and go to File | Options. You'll see the "Office Background" setting halfway down that first dialog. That will change it for the whole suite.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem was resolved for me by making sure that I was connected to SkyDrive when working with a file that I downloaded from SkyDrive.  As soon as I reconnect, Word and Excel are instantly faster.  Every so often when I open a file from SkyDrive I get a message stating I'm not connect (don't know why that happens), just reconnect/re-sync and you should be fine. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 570 Applies to: