How can I format a table such that it does not break the formatting of my paragraphs?

Hello,
I am trying to insert a picture and its caption within a table in a document. I can format the table so it wraps the text and stays put at the top of the page. The issue is that it seems to break up the paragraph formatting. If I insert it at the beginning of a line mid-paragraph, it wants to break apart the paragraph at that line. However, if I add on to a paragraph before where the table is positioned, the table stays put but the broken paragraph does not re-form. If I try to delete the space and re-form the paragraph, the table is deleted as well.

Is there any way to insert the table so it doesn't break up the paragraph? If not, is there an alternate way to insert a picture with its caption?

Thanks!
Answer
Answer

It can be done with the Around setting.

First insert the table before the paragraph, then click in the little box with four arrow heads immediately above and to the left of the table and drag it into position.  That will cause the setting to be changed to Around and the text will flow around it.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 58 Applies to: