"Ghost Document" Shows up When I Open Word

This strange document opens the same time I open any one of my word documents. When I try to click on it to open it and see what it is, it just says it is a corrupt file that cannot be opened. This only appears when I have the document sitting on my desktop and I open it from there. If you have any questions about the situation to get more clarification, please do ask

Is there any way I can keep this from happening?

Is there something wrong with my Microsoft Office - Word?

Answer
Answer

Those files are one type of temporary file that Word creates whenever a document is open. Specifically, this is an "owner file" that indicates that the main document file is in use, in case some other program or network user tries to open it at the same time. The temporary files are usually deleted automatically when you close the document, unless Word crashes.

Word creates these and other kinds of temporary files where the document is stored, no matter where that is. You're seeing them here only because the document is on the desktop. That's generally a poor practice anyway, because files on the desktop are easily deleted by mistake.

If you want the documents immediately available from the desktop, store them in some other folder and create shortcuts to them. Right-click the document file, click Send To, and click Desktop (create shortcut).

Then you won't see the temporary file unless you go to the actual document location while the document is open.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2024 Views 3,150 Applies to: