Font Color Constantly Reverts to Black

I need to know how to change the font color when I'm editing a document. The document is typed in black, and I would like to make additions to the entire document in red and green. When I click on the font color I want, it only applies to the line that I am currently typing. When I move to a different line or paragraph, the color changes back to black. I understand that I can type what I want and go back and highlight it and change the color that way, but that's not very efficient. Why can't I just click on the color I want, type with that color until I'm done, and click on the next color I want to use?
... Why can't I just click on the color I want, type with that color until I'm done, and click on the next color I want to use?

Because, that isn't how Word works. When you click into the middle of existing text and start typing, Word takes on the style of the text you clicked into. That includes the formatting.

If you turn on tracked changes, you can get different colors for your changes. (See Track Changes )

What you are doing is the primary purpose of this feature. You'll find it under the Review Tab.

You could create a custom character style if you wanted and put that on your QAT and/or assign it to a keyboard shortcut so that when you start typing you could simply click on that icon or use the shortcut to apply your custom style.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 4,911 Applies to: