Excel/Word attachments do not open from Windows Live Mail

Hi,

I have this frustrating issue for nearly 1 year now. I have change my client mail, I have done everything, problem persists.

Windows 8 (native, no upgrade). Samsung PC. Office 13 (original).

Whenever I receive an email with Excel or Word attachments (.xlsd or .docx), there's NO WAY to open it properly.

- I've tried, open it directly, not first saving and then open. I get the error message (Word cannot open and with absurd suggestions of issues)
- If I first save in a proper folder and then, open via File Explorer - same
- If I first save and then open directly from MS Word - same, it does not work.

Fist time I posted this issue, months ago, they want me to believe the problem is that I was using another mail client (Thunderbird).

So, I got back to Windows live Essentials, using Windows Live Mail (which by the way does not even appear listed as a product here in the Search option).
The problem persists.

I am forced to try to open it with third party software, because MS Word 2013 refuses to open an original MS Word 2013 file.

my feeling is that if I need to pay for a software that in the end makes me use a free third party software, namely Open Office, what am I paying for?
Answer
Answer
You could go to File>Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings>Protected View and uncheck the boxes for the various Enable Protected View options.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

What happens if you save the attachment to a folder and then in File Explorer, right click on the file and select Properties and then click on the Unblock button and then click on OK and then from within Word, you use File>Open and select the file to open?

If the file does not open and there is an error message, what is the full and exact text of that message.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 8, 2023 Views 9,710 Applies to: