Editing Word 2013

I have Word 2013 on Windows 8.  After the 8.1 update, whenever I open a Word file it is in a non-editable  mode.  There is no ribbon.  To edit it I have to copy the file (Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V) to a new file. 

I do not have this problem with Excel. 

There is help for disabling edit, but none for enabling it.  Is there a reason for this insanity? 

Andrew

Try repairing the Office installation following the steps from the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2769349

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The referenced "help" seems to refer to Click-To-Run, which I do not use, and Outlook, which I do not use.  It talks about not starting and crashing and failing to launch.  Unless these are code words and "Outlook" means "Word" and "fails to launch" means the file "Opens in Read-Only Mode", we are talking about two different things. 

My problem is that when I open a new file in Word the ribbon is in its usual place and is usable.  After I save it and try to reopen it, it opens … but I can't edit it.  There is no ribbon.  It may not mean anything, but it started doing this very soon after I did the Windows 8.1 Update. 

What I want to know is if this is a bug or a feature?  If it's a feature, how do I turn it off?  If it is a bug, how do I fix it? 

Help lists several ways to disable editing but none to enable editing. 

What is not helpful is being sent to a location that refers to a problem I don't have for an application I don't use. 

Andrew

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try the following link:

Try repairing the Office installation as detailed in the Knowledge Base article at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx

It also covers Office 2013

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe my problem is that the ribbon doesn't appear when I reopen a saved Word file.  Is there a cure for that? 

Andrew

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doug,

It's all better now.  Thanks. 

My last hurdle after fixing Office was that the ribbon didn't come back automatically — I had to hit "Enable Editing" or some such thing.  I just poked around until I found it.  (That option didn't exist before the fix.) 

Again, thanks. 

Andrew

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Enable Editing will appear with a document that is "Blocked" - most often because it originated from the Internet or as an attachment to an e-mail message.

See Options>Trust Center>Trust Center Settings.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 165 Applies to: