Double Click Word Template Does Not Create New document

I am running Windows 8.1 and Word 2013.  I have the following issue and cannot find if anyone else who is having the same problem:

When I create new Word templates (dotx, or dotm) and then double click on them, Word opens the actual template instead of creating a new document based on the template.

This is causing my users to be editing the actual template without realizing it.  I cannot seem to find anywhere why this is happening.  I have had to resort to putting the template in a network share that is read only.

I am running a virtualization version of Word.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed.

Have a very happy holidays one and all!
If you right-click a Word template file in File Explorer, the command New should be shown in boldface as the default, instead of Open which is the default for document files. If the bold command is Open or Edit, you may be able to fix it by reregistering Word. Press Windows key and R to open a Run box, enter the command

winword.exe  /r

and press Enter. You won't see anything happen, but Word will rewrite its registry entries, and that may fix the problem.

If the templates still open instead of creating a new document, you'll have to make a small manual edit in the registry. In the Run box, type

regedit

and press Enter. You'll get a UAC prompt to let it run. On the left side of the regedit program, expand and scroll the tree to locate the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Template.12\shell. This key controls the operations for .dotx template files. Follow the instructions at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/back-up-the-registry to export the key to a backup file with a .reg extension. (Yes, the article says it's for Vista, but nothing has changed through Windows 8.1 with respect to this.)

Now, with the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Word.Template.12\shell key selected, look at the right side of the program. There should be a single line that says

(Default)        REG_SZ       Open

or possibly

(Default)        REG_SZ       Edit

Double-click the (Default) to open a little window:

Erase the value Open and type in the value New, then click OK.

Repeat all of these steps (including exporting the key) for the shell keys under Word.Template.8 (that represents .dot files) and under Word.TemplateMacroEnabled.12 (that's for .dotm files). Close the regedit program.

Now try double-clicking your templates to verify that they create new documents.

If you haven't fixed the problem with this process, you can restore the original values by double-clicking the .reg files that you saved as backups.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Some versions back in Windows you used to be able to  create entries and assign programs to those entries that would show up on a right mouse. It disappeared sometime back.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2024 Views 5,143 Applies to: