Custom Printing isn't printing in Word 2013

I'm trying to print several pages of a large document in Word 2013, but it's not printing.  The printer is set up correctly, and the test page and Print Current page option print beautifully.  But when I do "Custom Print", it doesn't go to the printer at all.  
What are you trying to print, specifically? A range of pages in a multi-section document? Click the "i" icon to get help with the syntax.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

How do I tell where my pages and sections start?  I test printed a few pages, and it worked. But when I put in the pages I wanted to print, it printed the same thing I test printed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ashm,

How are you providing the custom print options?

Are you printing range of pages or random pages?

Printing using a different printer and check if it works fine as expected.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Use print layout view to see pages.

You inserted sections. Turn on the Show/Hide feature to see the section breaks. Look in the status bar at the bottom of the application window to see the page and section numbers.

Printing Only Selected Pages

http://word.tips.net/T001065_Printing_Only_Selected_Pages.html

Summary: I often need to print only select pages of a document, rather than the whole thing. Word makes it easy to be judicious in what you print. Here's how you can specify just those pages that need to be sent to the printer.

Printing ranges simplified – start to page nor page n to end

To print from a specific page to the end of the document, you probably enter the beginning page number and a value that’s higher than the total number of pages in the document. For instance, if you want to print from page 10 to the end of the document and you know that the document has less than 50 pages, you might enter 10-50 in the Page Range field.

I know… that’s old news. But did you know that the second page number value isn’t necessary anymore? The hyphen character ( - ) character tells Word to print to the end of the document! Instead of entering 10-50, enter just 10-. (Older versions still need the second page number.)

The improvement hardly seems important, but the older shortcut had one disadvantage — you had to have some idea how many pages were in the document. Guessing usually worked and you could always enter some insane value like 10000, but not entering a value at all is definitely easier.

Interestingly, this technique also works for printing from the first page to a specific page. For instance, to print from the first page to page 50, enter -50.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are not sure which sections are involved in a range of pages, you will have to move the insertion point to the start and then to the end of the range, and note what the "Formatted page number" and "Section" options say.

To display these options, right-click the status bar and click to select the "Formatted page number" and "Section" options.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 6, 2023 Views 2,698 Applies to: