Copying Excel to Word - Conditional Formatting Not displaying

Just wondering if anyone can help.  I've got a data set in excel with conditional formatting, 22 columns with up to 4 conditional formatting rules per column.  Everything works fine in excel, but when copying to word (to paste into a report template), some of the conditional formatting disappears.  I've tried pretty much all combinations for copying (as picture etc) and pasting (paste special, as image, as link etc).  Example pictures below.

Using Office 2013 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Interestingly, it seems to work when only half the data is copied (in 2013) and it also works fine in Office 2010.

Original data (excel):

Data when pasted into word:

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

With pasting as a picture being an option, use something like SnagIt from www.techsmith.com to capture a screen shot and then copy and paste that into the Word document.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I guess the main question is why does it work in Office 2010 but not 2013?  Saving the file as older formats doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Capturing an image is always an option, but it's not preferred.  One issue is the additional formatting required to make it display properly (i.e. turning off grid lines and the page number watermark) and then any post processing (cropping, adjusting etc) that may be required.

Much easier to select the cells, copy and paste.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2023 Views 1,115 Applies to: