Copy text from a drawing

I think I remember being told, when our company changed from Word 2003 to Word 2010/2013, that I would be able to copy text from a drawing, but I can't find any reference to that topic in Help.  Is there a way to copy text from a drawing? 

Answer
Answer

That rather depends on how the drawing was created.

If you (or someone else) used the Insert > Shape tools to draw lines, boxes, arrows, etc.; right-clicked a shape and selected Add Text; and saved the document -- then you should be able to right-click the shape, click Edit Text, and select and copy the text. You'd have to do this for each individual piece of text in the drawing -- but at least it's just text.

If the drawing was made (or printed) on paper and scanned into the computer, you can't copy that text. The shapes that you see as letters are just pixels in the picture, like the lines and boxes. In that case, you need an optical character recognition (OCR) program that can "read" the document by recognizing the letters.

If you have OneNote in your Office suite, you can paste the drawing into that program, right-click it, and click Copy Text from Picture. The text will be placed on the clipboard, and you can paste it into OneNote or into Word. Proofread it carefully, because OCR is prone to mistakes.

If you don't have OneNote, or if you want better performance, there are commercial OCR programs you can buy. The good ones tend to be expensive.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2024 Views 435 Applies to: