Confused keyboard commands between languages

A few months ago I upgraded my Swedish-language Office 2010 to an English-language Office 2013. My main reason for doing so was that the Swedish-language version of Office has different meanings for the standard keyboard commands Ctrl+F for Find, Ctrl+B for Bold and Ctrl+I for Italic. EVERYONE in Sweden who works extensively with computers HATES this feature, because ALL other software keeps the English meanings of these commands. So you have to remember a specific set of commands for Swedish Office that don't apply in any browser or DTP program (or any other software that handles simple text formatting).

So for several months now I've been greatly enjoying once again being able to use Ctrl+F for Find. But today when I started my English-language Word 2013, Ctrl+F gave me bold. Which is what it means in the Swedish-language software (F stands for "fat style" font).

It took me a couple of tries before I realized what was happening. So then I tried Ctrl+B (which is "find" in the Swedish version). And Ctrl+B ALSO gave me bold. I now have two keyboard commands for bold and none for find.

Why is it doing this and how can I make it revert to all English commands?!!!

Go to File>Options>Customize Ribbon and then click on the Customize button to the right of Keyboard shortcuts.

If you have made no other customizations of the Keyboard shortcuts, you may just be able to use the Reset All button.  Otherwise, locate the commands that you want to assign to the keyboard shortcuts and press the new combination of keys that you want to use.

You can tell all of your friends that they can change the keyboard assignments in their Swedish versions in the same way so that Office behaves the same as other software applications.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks.  That was strange. I couldn't just press "Reset All" when I got to the Customize Keyboard window because it was grayed. So instead I had to go through the commands manually (took me a while to find that the command is called EditFind), and it had no keyboard command at all linked to it. When I added Ctrl+F, THEN the option to Reset All became available, so I tried it and it deleted the keyboard command for Ctrl+F. So I reconfigured it again.

How weird is that? It's been Ctrl+F since the old DOS days. And up until today, it had been that on Word 2013 too. Bizarre.

It occurred to me that one reason Word 2013 is borrowing Swedish keyboard commands is because I haven't uninstalled the Swedish Word 2010. I noticed and was pleased that 2013 imported my macros from 2010. Apparently it borrowed the other keyboard command because the indigenous one disappeared. Really strange.

Now I'm going to check and see if the Customize Ribbon thing works on my Swedish Word 2010. Could have saved myself the investment in 2013. :-)

If you have any ideas as to why the preprogrammed standard keyboard command just vanished like that, I'd love to hear them. No biggie though, now that I know where to fix it!

Thanks again!

Go to File>Options>Customize Ribbon and then click on the Customize button to the right of Keyboard shortcuts.

If you have made no other customizations of the Keyboard shortcuts, you may just be able to use the Reset All button.  Otherwise, locate the commands that you want to assign to the keyboard shortcuts and press the new combination of keys that you want to use.

You can tell all of your friends that they can change the keyboard assignments in their Swedish versions in the same way so that Office behaves the same as other software applications.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh, this is weird. It seems to be a particular file that's blocking my ability to use Ctrl+F as the "Find" command. I had to go into the Customize Keyboard window and specifically select the open document instead of Normal.dotm.

The reason doesn't seem to be because the language settings on the client's file are set to Swedish, because I changed it to English and saved it under a different name and the new file works the same way.

Could this be some sort of incompatibility between Word for Mac and Word for Windows? I'm pretty sure the client works from a Mac.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2023 Views 2,113 Applies to: