Changing footnote cross-reference number formatting

I am formatting law journal article that has cross-references to footnotes. Specifically, it contains ranges of footnotes that should end up looking something like "145–50."  I've been inserting two references, first to 140, and then to 150, but I end up with "145–150," which is not correct for the formatting that I need.  

Does anybody know how I can make a footnote cross-reference to, for example, footnote 150 that will only display the last two numbers?

This is the format of the field:

{NOTEREF_Ref364863823 \h \* MERGEFORMAT }

I've tried changing it to:

{NOTEREF_Ref364863823 \h \# "00" }

But that doesn't seem to work.  Thanks!

Use ctrl-F9 (on Windows Word) to insert another pair of field code braces surrounding your NOTEREF field, so you have
{ {NOTEREF_Ref364863823 \h \* MERGEFORMAT } }

Then modify that so it looks like this:

{ =mod({NOTEREF_Ref364863823 \h \* MERGEFORMAT },100) \#00 }

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That's very helpful, thank you!  

I have one other issue that I've just realized -- I'm working with lots of footnotes that may move around.  Is it possible to make it so that it will only modify the cross-reference if the preceding number starts with the same digit?

I'm concerned that I'll end up with 199–04 when it should be 199–204.  Once again thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would consider trying the following for each range. It might need to be adapted if you have over 1000 footnotes, and/or you want "23-6" and "123-6" rather than 23-26 and 123-26. Also, I haven't looked at how to deal with any loss of function of the \r switch ("formatted") or \h switch ("hyperlink"). The \h switch used in SEQ fields means "hidden".

Let's suppose the bookmark for the first footnote is _Ref1 and the bookmark for the second is _Ref2 

Then you use

{ SEQ ra \r{ NOTEREF _Ref1 } \h }{ SEQ rb \r{ NOTEREF _Ref2 } \h }{ SEQ rc \r{ =abs(int({ SEQ rb \c }/100)- int({ SEQ ra \c }/100)) } \h }{ ={ SEQ ra \c }-{ SEQ rb \c } \#"'{ SEQ rb \c }-{ SEQ rc \c \#"'{ SEQ ra \c }';;'{ =mod({ SEQ ra \c },100) \#00 }'"}';'{ SEQ ra \c }-{ SEQ rc \c \#"'{ SEQ rb \c }';;'{ =mod({ SEQ rb \c },100) \#00 }'"}';'{ SEQ ra \c }'" }

Apart from the first two { SEQ } fields, all the rest is the same and could go in an autotext/building block. Then the idea is that if
_Ref1 is 195 and _Ref2 is 197, you get 195-97
_Ref1 is 195 and _Ref2 is 207, you get 195-207

_Ref1 is 197 and _Ref2 is 195, you get 195-97 (not 197-95)

_Ref1 is 207 and _Ref2 is 195, you still get 195-207

_Ref1 is 195 and _Ref2 is 195, you get 195

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 170 Applies to: