Can't select vertical block of text in Word 2013.

I have Word 2010 and Word 2013 on the same computer, and have never had a problem with the operation of either program till now. 

I can use "Alt + left click  + drag" to select a vertical block of text in Word 2010. But I can't do so in Word 2013.  I used the same wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, and verified this six different ways.  I know I need to select more than one column. In Word 2013, it looks like I the program is tring to select horizontal lines.  Horizontal lines become highlighted and not highlighted at a very rapid rate.  

I don't own a wired keyboard or mouse. If I am able to obtain them, I will try that as a possible solution. 

I have no trouble doing it in Word 2013, even on a touch screen tablet, using the on-screen keyboard.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I read your reply over and over again many times.  For some strange reason, I keep missing the answer or solution to my problem.  I realize what I am doing is supposed to work. I can't figure out why it is not working. I didn't mean to write users can't select vertical blocks of text in Word 2013. If that were true, I would have no question.  I meant to write, I can't access this feature even though others can. 

The fact that you have not trouble doing it does not help me.

I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot the root cause of my problem. I am thinking it might me the wireless mouses which is not so responsive. 

I often have to hit "Ctrl C" many times to copy to the clip board. Only I have no problem using it to select a vertical block of text in Word 2010. 

michael 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The purpose of my response was to signify that the ability to select a vertical block of text is NOT something that has been deprecated in Word 2013.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. I realized why you gave me the answer you did, and I appreciate your help. But I knew users are suppossed to be able select a vertical block of text in Word 2013. That was the basis for my question. I should have made that clearer.

I just can't figure-out why it is not working for me. I suspect my wireless mouse might have something to with it, because I have other problems with my wireless mouse, like not being able to copy text to the Windows clipboard on the first try.  

Also, I seem to recall I had the ability to select a vertical block of text in Word 2013 at some point in the past. But I am not 100% sure about this.  I upgraded to Word 2013 six months ago. So, I could be remembering my experience in Word 2010. 

On a separate issue:

I am looking for experts in Word 2013 and graphic design. This is for a paid project, or a project that could generate a profit. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 1,086 Applies to: