Can not edit Excel Tables in new and existing Word docs

Hello,

I have existing Word Files that contain excel tables.  Files are both from older Word Versions and ones created new with 2013.  I have never had any issues before.  Today when I opened up one of the files to edit all the edit features on the Excel Table are greyed out.  I can change the text but can no add or remove rows/columns, change cell format etc.  When I double click on the Excel Table to open it up all the Toolbars and ribbons dissapear.  They return for the Word document once I click out of the Table.  I created a new word document and created a new Excel table in it.  Same thing happened.  I have checked and all of my files are this way now.  PLEASE HELP!!!!  Did a setting get changed somewhere?

Hi,

I understand how it feels when a program doesn't work as expected,
let me help you to resolve this issue.

Please provide additional information to help you better.

Do you experience similar issue when you directly open and try working with the Excel file?

Let's try the following steps and verify the result.

1) Start Excel in safe mode as mentioned in the following article.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/why-cant-i-start-my-office-2013-application-HA104011864.aspx

2) Now open the Word document, then try editing the embedded Excel table and verify the result.

3) If issue still persists, start Word in safe mode and verify whether issue re-occurs.
Note: You may follow the steps mentioned in the above article.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2023 Views 685 Applies to: