Can no longer associate .docx files with Word 2013

I recently upgraded to Word 2013 (all of Office 2013), and it's been working just fine.  Until....

On December 11 I installed recommended updates, and suddenly found that when I double-clicked on a .docx file, it would attempt to open the file in an XML-viewer, rather than Word 2013.  Actually, it did something comparable with all of my Office applications (except, inexplicably, Visio).

I was able to remap the associations for Excel and PowerPoint (for .xlsx and .pptx files, respectively), and there has been no trouble with these since.

But for Word, I've been having trouble.  Specifically, when I go to do the association (either in Control Panel generally or setting the default opening program by right-clicking the file), I can navigate to Word 2013 in the Office15 folder...but then when I select WINWORD.EXE as the default program, it still registers as Word 2010.

Now this is only a problem with file-type associations:  if I run Word 2013 and open these files inside it, they open and run fine.  But I want to be able to open .docx files in Word 2013 by double-clicking them in Windows Explorer, like I've always been able to do.

Please advise...I'm out of tricks.

Thank you,

-- Annika

Answer
Answer

Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Programs & Features > Microsoft Office > Change in the Windows Control Panel)?

Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2022 Views 3 Applies to: