Automatic Numbering - can't get it to align correctly and it won't number some paras

We recently upgraded all the office machines to 2013 from 2007 and I'm finding the new automatic numbering doesn't work like it used to. 

First, I used to be able to set the paragraph alignment (indent and tab) on the first numbered paragraph so that all subsequent paras followed the same alignment.  I can't see how to do that anymore and now I'm having to manually change the alignment for each para.

Secondly, we use three level numbering in legal documents at work, for instance, in a Chapter 1 there will be various major headings and subheadings and so the numbering would start 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3 and then when there is another major heading within Chapter 1 the numbering would change to 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3 etc, etc.   I use 'define new number format' to change the numbering each time.  The problem is, rather randomly, I can use automatic numbering OK for a few paras and then for some reason it won't number a para and whatever I do doesn't seem to work.  Even our IT people can't fathom whats going on.  You used to just be able to backspace a para onto the tail of another para which already had automatic numbering, then hit 'return' and your para would have the correct numbering too, but in 2013 backspace just takes out the numbering.  I've tried to highlight several paras at once then click on the numbering I want but it numbers one or two and doesn't number others!  Or, it will put a new number (i.e. a number starting at 1 again) below the paras I have highlighted. 

Can anyone help please? 

Thanks.

You should set up outline numbering associated with paragraph styles as discussed in the article at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html. At the moment, the article is inaccessible, but you should be able to find it in the archive at Archived article on Word numbering.

To edit an existing list, do the following: Place the insertion point in the first level 1 paragraph of your list (for heading numbering, this means the first Heading 1 paragraph of the document). Click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List (yes, the command is misleading).
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2024 Views 3,275 Applies to: