After saving during Track Change mode, further changes are marked as though by a new author

In Word 2013, I am working in a legal document with change tracking on. In the interest of not losing data due to a crash, I would like to save the document during the editing, but every time I save, the changes I've made so far turn a different color, and if I delete something I added before the save it looks something like this, where what I had added before the save is underlined, but what I delete after the save is shown as having been added and then deleted.

I want the changes that I add and then delete after a save to just not show up anymore. It is of no interest to my client what I added and then revised before finalizing the document; only important it how my final version of the NEW document with changes differs from the ORIGINAL document. Is there any way to change this so that a save doesn't make me essentially a "new author" according to track change mode?

I am already a bit disappointed in how little track changes is configurable. For example, I wish there were also the option that a document which is shared among users would track the changes as if all completed by ONE author. In my case, for example, a client will send me a document with his/her proposed changes. If I need to tweak the document before filing at the appropriate office, I don't want them to see where I deleted what he/she added.

Thanks for any tips.

I don't know why Word 2013 recognizes a new user/editor each time you save and reopen a document. You could experiment with the "Always use these settings regardless of sign in to Office" option at File tab | General, but it may not make a difference.

To make all edits "anonymous," you can use the Document Inspector to delete personal data. Here's how to do it: Click File | Info. Click Check for Issues, and then click Inspect Document. In the dialog box, click Inspect. When Word displays the results, click Remove All next to "Document Properties and Personal Information." Click Close.

Note that you won't see "Author" until you have closed and re-opened the document.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

When further editing what I already edited & saved in track-change mode, I have to abandon my previous edit for the changes to show up I want (i.e. without this highlighting), but this is time-consuming and painstaking since I have to be careful I don't reject the wrong changes.

Looks like the answer is "tough luck" for now. Thanks for your help Stefan.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tested selecting "Always use these settings..." in the Options dialog box (General tab)? This should do the trick, assuming that your User Name is correct in the dialog box.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 17, 2024 Views 2,147 Applies to: