Adding a new heading in the middle of a document with outline heading numbering

Hello

I am using Word 2013 on Windows 7 to write documents with numbered headings.

I used Shauna Kelly's lovely instructions at http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html. I followed her instructions exactly, and my documents have nice heading numbering that mostly work well.

My problem happens when I need to insert a new heading into an existing document. I type a new heading in, then I apply the correct style and select my List style from the Multilevel List list, just as Shauna said to do. Sometimes this goes smoothly. and sometimes it doesn't.

When it doesn't, the new heading does not recognise that it has been inserted into the middle of an existing numbering scheme. It has the right style (e.g. Heading 3), and the right numbering scheme (I called mine Headings, as Shauna suggested). I right-click on the number in the new heading and select Continue Numbering. The number does not change, and stays stuck at 1.1..1.

As a last resort, I have tried the Set Numbering Value option, but I can only update the last digit.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Melanie

Answer
Answer
The Level 1 numbering was NOT linked to the Heading 1 Style.  When that is corrected, new Heading 2 paragraphs can be inserted and will assume the proper numbering.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2022 Views 2,661 Applies to: