2013 word merge won't work

For years, I have prepared reports by merging a word template document with an excel spreadsheet, where the variables are entered on excel.

Recently, I started using Office 365 and so automatically upgraded to Word 3013. Now the process for merging doesn’t work. Can anybody tell me what I’m doing wrong?

These are the steps that used to work.

1.        Open word template
  2.        Go to mailings and select recipients
  3.        Choose existing list and find the correct spreadsheet
  4.        Double click spreadsheet name to get “open data source” box
  5.        Choose MS excel worksheets via DDE
  6.       Select all
  7.        Preview results, and voila! the report would be populated with data

Also, during this process, the excel spreadsheet I choose opens on screen so I can change data entries, etc.

Now at step 5 after clicking MS excel worksheets via DDE, I get an error message saying “word could not re-establish a DDE connection to MS excel to complete the current task.

In addition, the excel spreadsheet does not open.

The error message has a ‘show help’ button which refers me to the MS Knowledge Base Article 918594. I took the steps I thought were appropriate but still no results.

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Answer
Answer

DDE has always been somewhat flaky and has effectively been sidelined. I am not sure that it is even available to Office 2013. It doesn't appear to be available to Word 2013 here to connect to Excel worksheets, though Word 2010 still allows it.

Goto File > Options > Advanced > General and uncheck confirm file conversion on open.

Open your merge document and set the merge document type to normal work document. Then attach your Excel data sheet. It will open with the OLE DB link. This is rather more robust, but it does not bring over the formatting from Excel, so you will have to use formatting switches in Word if there are any display anomalies. See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,058 Applies to: