Visio 2013 Connectors - Can we change these?

So, I'm using Visio 2013 for the first time.  I'm creating basic network diagrams.

Every time I create a connector, it puts an arrow on one end of the line.  I don't want arrows.

For example, I've placed two routers on my diagram.  I connect them.  There's an arrow on one end.  I don't want that arrow.

Another example:  I placed a switch on that same diagram.  I connected it to one of the routers.  There's an arrow on one end.  I don't want that arrow.

One would think it would be simply a matter of applying the correct theme or variant.  But NO!  All of the variants use arrows!

Having the arrow on one end implies the two devices only communicate one-way when, in fact, they actually communicate in both directions.

So, I can either:

A.) Select each connector as I make it and remove the arrow from that end.

B.) Select each connector as I make it and remove the arrow from that end.

or

C.) Select each connector as I make it and remove the arrow from that end.

Actually, I guess I could select all the connectors on the page and try to edit them in bulk.  Or, perhaps just keep cutting and pasting the one connector I originally configure the way I want it.

Any fix for this?  Is there any way to not have an arrow on one end when I make a connector?

Answer
Answer
If you are creating connections from the Connector tool, they should all be based on the same Master.  You can change some options at the Master level, and have them inherited through a drawing - with one big caveat.  Anything you have already updated manually will no longer inherit from the Master, as the change that you made in the UI is stored in the copy of the shape.
To see the inheritance take place, start a New drawing, and add 2 or 3 connectors to the page using the Connector tool.
In Developer tab, selection "Document Stencil" check box. 
You should see the Dynamic Connector aster in the Document Stencil, since you added a connector on the page.
Right-click on the Dynamic connector in Document Stencil, Select Edit Master -> Edit Maste Shape master to open the Editing mode, and make your desired changes.
 > Note that this will be used for all copies of the master, however, Visio has to set each line end separately.
 > You may want to select both ends to set the correct type, and then turn them off as desired in your drawing.
When you are finished, close the editing window (NOT the application - use the smaller X at the upper right).
You should be prompted with a message like "Update 'Dynamic Connector' and all of its instances?" - click Yes.

Result: The existing connectors on the page change to match, and new connectors created using the tool will use the same format.

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 29, 2023 Views 61,834 Applies to: