What is status on error(bug) resulting in duplicates or silently disappearing(vanishing) contacts(people) in Outlook 2013 using outlook.com, live.com and hotmail.com?

After quite some test and searching I have finally discovered that I am not the only one having issues with duplicate and silently vanishing contact entries in Outlook 2013 using outlook.com.

Unfortunately my testing shows that the bug is more general and severe than described in this thread. So please do not  just delete the duplicate as recommended, this will just cause the remaining copy to silently vanish when it is edited at some point later in time.

My tests indicate that it is best to avoid any modification (create, edit or delete) of contacts in Outlook 2013 when using outlook.com. Use the web or another device (e.g. iPhone) to do any contact modifications until the bug is fixed.

The problem starts when creating a contact in Outlook 2013 folder connected to outlook.com, but at this point it is only a hidden error in the internal outlook data structure. The problem becomes visible when the contact sometime later is edited, and then results in a duplicate contact entry (one with the update and one without). Deleting one of the duplicates will cause the other contact to silently vanish when later edited.

How to reproduce the problem:

1. Create and save a contact in Outlook 2013, just call it TEST or something else.
  2. Wait until it has been synchronized with outlook.com, this typically happens in a few seconds.
  3. Perform this single step in Outlook.com (people.live.com), another Outlook 2013 client (different Windows account or Windows computer), a Windows App, a Windows Phone, an Android or an iOS device:
    Modify something on the contact, such as adding a company name.
  4. Wait until it has been synchronized with outlook.com
  5. Now there will be two identical contacts named TEST in Outlook 2013. In outlook.com and other connected devices there is only one contact.
  6. Delete any of the two contacts in Outlook 2013 and wait for synchronization.
  7. Now there is one contact named TEST in Outlook 2013 and none in outlook.com or other connected devices.
  8. Open, edit and save the contact in Outlook 2013 and wait for sync.
  9. Now the contact silently vanishes in Outlook 2013 and cannot be seen on any devices.

The problem does not occur if the first step is performed on outlook.com. This leads me to conclude that the first step is the root cause where some kind of internal data inconsistency is created in the Outlook 2013 cache. The issue cannot be reproduced on some of my older contacts, so it may be a bug introduced by an update.

This brings me to the following questions:

1. Can the above steps reproduce the problem for everybody using a fully updated Outlook 2013 connected to outlook.com?
  2. Can the above steps reproduce the problem when Outlook 2013 is connected to an Exchange Server?
  3. Are there any indications that Microsoft is fully aware of the extent and severity of this problem?

Further details:

• Fully updated Windows 8.1
  • Fully updated Office Home and Business 2013 (version 15.0.4693.1001)
  • Fully updated AVAST Antivirus - temporarily disabling it has no effect
  • Full Office online repair does not solve the problem.
  • Reproduced on two computers connected to different outlook.com accounts.

Tips:

• A vanished contact can be restored to the state of step 5 within 30 days from https://people.live.com/#vw=deletedContacts, but the last edit is permanently lost.
  • A duplicate contact can be fixed by first printing the contact, then deleting the duplicates in Outlook 2013, and finally recreating the contact using outlook.com on the web.

Any feedback, guidance or help is highly appreciated :)

April 17, 2015: Step 3 updated to reflect the latest knowledge of the issue and the specific scenario corrected by the Mid-March fix. For more information please visit my post starting on page 6 of this thread.

April 18+27, 2015: Made the heading a bit more search engine friendly. The aim is to make the reason for some of the many Outlook 2013 duplicates appear together with the many third party tools to delete, remove or merge duplicates.

May 13, 2015: Issue still unresolved in May 12, 2015 update of Outlook 2013 (15.0.4719.1002)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for reporting about the contact issue with Outlook and Outlook.com.

I was able to reproduce the issue on my end.

We appreciate your feedback. Microsoft is committed to continuously improving your experience with our products. We listen to all feedback and consider it for future releases.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Nayana,

Thank you for the quick confirmation of the issue.

Is there any way I can track the status of the issue? or should I just test again every month/year?

Is it possible for you to test the same sequence when connected to an Exchange Server such as  Microsoft Exchange Online?

I am interested in the impact on users with Exchange Server because I based on this and some other issues now consider changing to Exchange Online.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

Firstly, to know about the latest update you may keep checking the Office/Outlook blogs or it may be released as Microsoft Office updates as well.

This issue doesn’t persists in Microsoft Exchange Server account in Outlook.

For more information about Microsoft Exchange Server, you may also post in Exchange Server forum link given below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/threads

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Nayana!

Nice straight answers :-)

I had hoped to use outlook.com as a simple low cost back end to "run the family calendars like a business". But with critical issues in the core functionality of both contacts and calendar invites this no longer seems realistic.

You may want to suggest the management of outlook.com to take their own medicine. This will hopefully lead them to remove functionality they don't want to test and make sure that the remaining functionality is thoroughly tested.

It is soothing to know that Exchange Online doesn't have the same problem. I will certainly do a trial to check if it fits better for our needs.

Thanks again, have a nice day.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply.

There is an update about this ‘Outlook.com’ issue in Outlook 2013.

This issue is caused after installing one of the Outlook update which was released in this month.

Microsoft is working on this issue and the fix would be out very soon.

The current workaround to get rid of this problem is to remove this Office update.

If you’re using ‘Click to run version Office 2013’ then follow the article given below to revert to earlier version of Office 2013 Click-to-Run.

If you’re using the MSI version of Office 2013, then remove the update number KB2770432 from Windows updates.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the quick analysis and confirmation of the fix being out soon.

I  guess the issue was introduced by one of the Outlook 2013 specific updates described in KB2956087 which is part of the February Update to Office described in KB3032763.

This Office update also includes an important fix for the vulnerability MS15-013 and this certainly makes me keep the update. I will rather update contacts on web or phone than risk that a malicious Office file is used to compromise my computer.

Finally, I am truly impressed that you and your Microsoft colleagues were able to confirm a fix within 10 days :-)

Best regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same Problem!

I first thought, that the Problem first occured with the February 2015 Hotfixes for Outlook and Office.

So i restored a Systemsnapshot so that my last updates where from December 2014.

Still the same Problem.

Because i didn't edit so much the contacts i couldn't say when the error first occured.

However - the contacts app for Windows 8 seems also to have a Problem with the cache - by playing arround with Outlook 2013 Sync - creating and deleting contacts suddenly the contacts in the contacts app persist - while in outlook 2013, in Outlook contacts web and on my Handy with Exchange active sync ther are no contacts - which is correct.

The only way to get rid of the wrong entrys in the contacts app is to reinstall the app.

So there are two Problems - with outlook 2013 and a Connection to outlook.com and the contacts app (Windows 8.1) which is missing Synchronisation.

I guess, that the Problem may be is on outlook.com itself?

Hope that the bug will be found very fast and fixed - because now contacts with outlook2013 are not usable.

Thanks Thorsten

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Thorsten!

It is great to get some additional observations.

Based on your information I tried out the workaround proposed by Nayana, and I can now confirm that the issue remains even after reverting to the previous version  (December 2014).

I can add that the issue remains even after reverting to the version before that (November 2014). In this version I also reproduced the issue after creating a completely new Outlook cache under a new Windows account to rule out any doubt of a corrupted cache.

I finally tried the test sequence described in my first post in the Win People App and the iPhone Contacts App. I tested twice in each App and this did not result in any duplicates.

So my current conclusion is that this an issue related to Outlook 2013 and outlook.com, and that the issue can be reproduced in minimum these versions of Office 2013:

• February 2015 Update, Version: 15.0.4693.1002
  • December 2014 Update, Version: 15.0.4675.1002
  • November 2014 Update, Version: 15.0.4667.1002

I didn't try older versions.

My Office 2013 was configured in the Spring 2014, so something has changed in Outlook 2013 or outlook.com since. (edited Mar3, 2015)

Now I would be very pleased to hear some news from Microsoft again. Can you confirm the latest observations and how do they impact your analysis and plans for a fix?

Thanks, Ole

Notes on reverting to older version of Office 2013:

I have the 64bit Click-to-run version and therefore followed steps in described in KB2770432. Additionally I did a restart and then checked the version before starting each test. Automatic updates were reactivated immediately after the last tests.

Notes on the Win People App (version 17.5.9600.20689):

I noticed that Win People App only updates automatically when the mail app is added to the lock screen. Otherwise you will have to close and restart the App to make it synchronize. The People App appears to silently loose updates if updates are performed on multiple devices without making sure that the data in the Win People App are fully updated before modification. I prefer Outlook and therefore never user the People App. To me the App ratings already talk their own clear language, so let's start any additional App only issues in another thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

me too, exactly the same problem, any solution now?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2021 Views 2,575 Applies to: