How do I turn OFF tracking for emails in Outlook?

How do I turn OFF tracking for emails in Outlook?

Sometimes you can open Word, select Accept All Changes and Stop Tracking, but that only works once in a while and you have to continually open Word and do this.

This is a very frustrating inconvenience as it changes the formatting and color of any changes you made, which show up in the email on the receiving parties computer.  Horrible.

Please advice, I've been redirected from one forum to another for months now and no one can solve any problem I have (indeed, I've been talking with tech support for many, many months on other issues too, no one can resolve anything...no problems with 2010, just 2013)

Thanks

(apologies for posting this in different forums, but there is no clear forum to ask in.  The one linked to my account, Office 365 Business, the admin told me that's the wrong place (nice job MS, having to setup two accounts, this one doesn't even show I own Outlook 2013!!), sent me to the IT forum.  Now I am here, hoping to find answers no one seems to know the answer too...so many bugs!!)

File-> Options-> Trust Center-> Attachment Handling-> disable: Add properties to attachments to enable Reply with Changes (disabled by default)

All other functionality of tracking changes for Word documents is controlled by Word itself and not Outlook. The same goes for any formatting changes that you encounter.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, but this isn't for replies (I tried that, doesn't change the tracking of changes to Draft emails).

I have several emails I've created for different things.  I forward these to clients and make changes to them.  The problem is that when you open a draft, make a change, then save it, close it and open it again, the changes are tracked. 

There is no way to turn this off, that I've been able to find (nor any support offering solutions).  The only way to do this is manually open Word, click "Accept and Stop Tracking" for EVERY SINGLE EMAIL that you open and save!  It's truly ridiculous. 

Outlook 2013 has several bugs.  There are others I've been talking with support for months and no one can solve it (they've been able to reproduce it and it has to do with saved/forwarded emails as well).  No other version of Outlook has ever had these problems, going back to before 2000.

I am hoping that these bugs get fixed.  I am still testing it for my company and can't use it on all computers with so many bugs (even the app doesn't support POP emails...it did 6 months ago, but doesn't now, crazy!)

Any other suggestions or info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you talking about Draft messages or Word documents attached to Draft messages?

Post your exact steps to reproduce starting from the beginning.

Please refrain from introducing side-issues or other comments within your post as it will make it hard to follow what issue you are talking about. FWIW: Outlook is perfectly capable of supporting POP3 accounts as well.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.

1.  Create base email (including Subject line)

2.  Save as draft

3.  Open draft

4.  Make changes to draft

5.  Save and close

6.  Open

You should see the tracked changes.  I can't say that this happens 100% of the time, but 95% it does.  I was able to recreate this on two computers. 

Note that 2010, 2007, 2003 Outlooks never had this problem.

FWI - it was the Outlook APP that I was referring to that does not support POP emails.  It supports IMAP, Exchange, etc., etc., but not POP (it did when it was first released, then they changed it - I still have the old app on my iphone and it works, but on my other phones I update the app and it wiped out that functionality....I talked to several people at MS and all they could do was apologize and say that they probably will have it at some point)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this same problem:

1.  Create base email (including Subject line)

2.  Save as draft

3.  Open draft

4.  Make changes to draft

5.  Save and close

6.  Open

When I open the edited email, the changes are underlined and marked on the margin the same as tracked changes in Word.  The "accept change" option is greyed out, so non-functional. 

It is driving me bananas!!!

I have searched high and low - no replies to this problem are accurate in fixing it so far.

Please someone find a solution!!!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, like many other errors Outlook has, Microsoft seems to be blatantly ignoring the problems.  I have having this problem with my Surface too - recognized problem, thousands of identical issues, yet support just ignores it and posts generic "solutions" that don't work.

I have like MS and had high hopes to integrate more into my business, both hardware and software, but support across the board seems to care little for solving problems.

(I had to uninstall 2016 and go back to 2013 as the newer Outlook was not working, specifically the search)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just tried changing my base email to Rich Text instead of HTML and then duplicating the email (which is when I used to be getting track changes showing up) and that magically addressed it...

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2024 Views 31,258 Applies to: