Contacts lose their Categories in Outlook 2013

Hi,

I set up All my contacts in Outlook 2013 and assigned them ALL categories and then sync to Outlook.com .  The contacts came across but NOT the categories.  I then manually setup the groups in Outlook.com and assigned the correct contacts to mirror what I had in Outlook 2013.

About 75 contacts in Outlook 2013 loose their categories.  These appear to be the ones where I did not set up a name as they are a company and the 'file as' field is set up as a company.  The contacts which lost their category now have the 'name' field populated by the company name.  Outlook.com contacts are still in the groups they were assigned to.  OK.  So I then went through and reassigned the category.

Everything is fine for a few days.  Then they lose their category again?  This has happened 4 times now.

How can I stop this happening and keep the category in the contacts in Outlook 2013?

Answer
Answer

I prefer keeping companies and people separate. After a Live Chat with MS, I managed to fix all. Method was (1) Add Contact in Outlook.com. (2) As soon as it syncs, Company name disappears in Outlook.com, Outlook, and S6 phone; so reaccess Outlook.com, select "Edit", add the Company name back, and Save. (3) In Outlook, double-check  "File As" and Save.

Other findings. Where I had multiple names affiliated with the same company, things got trickier. I created a "main record" containing, say, Company Name, main phone, and address. After this "main record" was created & edited in multiple steps (per paragraph above), I next created employee-specific record #1 (with, say, the individual's unique e-mail, his home address, his mobile #). Then created employee-specific record #2, etc.

Trial & error showed I couldn't duplicate phone #s (my Outlook 2010 setting allows but records rolled back if I did, presumably from back-end edits). Also, if I edited multiple contacts for the same company in Outlook.com back-to-back, the records already created for that company would fall over; trick for that was to go SLOWLY, fix one record at a time (in stages) before proceeding to next.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2023 Views 2,868 Applies to: