Cannot drag and drop emails to calendar date

Hi.

In Outlook 2010 I often drag and drop emails to a certain date in the calendar to-do pane. In Outlook 2013 I am not able to do that. How come?

Thanks!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm really tired of Microsoft "simplifying" features out of existence. Where is the thread on this forum begging for this simplification? I sure can't find it.

This is a feature that most professional users relied on every day. Those same users work in organizations where usage reporting is normally turned off, so the usage statistics on this item are garbage.

Microsoft, if you want to do your planning based on the tiny percentage of home users, you are guaranteed to disappoint your business users who are relying on you for the best productivity features. Who loves you? Who sends you money every year?

Oh, and just so you know, adding a step to a user interaction is not a simplification, in any system or procedure :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So I couldn't take it any more and I downgraded back to Office 2010.  It was not just the drag/drop to the calendar that was hindering my day -- there are huge performance differences between the two products as well.

Just switching from Mail to Calendar to People in Outlook took much longer than it should have as the software tried to determine if I wanted to Peek or to click.

All the other applications also had performance reductions -- took longer to open and longer to switch between tabs on the ribbon, longer to get to the Recently Used file list, too much reliance on the cloud for storage (which is blocked in most organizations), etc.

I dumped it and have recommended to my company that we not adopt it at all but look ahead to the next version.

So, today, I'm back to happily dragging & dropping my emails to calendar dates & I love it!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a way to for this in one of the forum. Hope it is helpful.

Simply dragged the email to where its says Calendar on the new main row at the bottom. It then opens and appointment where you can change the date and time. The original feature allowed you to drag onto a specific date which was nice and quick, but hopefully that method I found should also work for us!

Source:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b6dfed7b-1d34-4c4b-9d23-56b57034dce3/outlook-2013-drag-and-drop-to-calander?forum=officeitpro&prof=required

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

yup Manoj there are a few ways I just learnt also - including pop out new calendar window.

http://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/drag-drop-email-calendar-create-appointments/

but with all of these - I still disagree its simplifying anything.    what Outlook 2010 had was great I'm also on a 2013 work/office pilot team.  This issue was the 1st I reported lacking in the biz space.

Please bring it back MS if you are monitoring this forum thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a way to for this in one of the forum. Hope it is helpful.

Simply dragged the email to where its says Calendar on the new main row at the bottom. It then opens and appointment where you can change the date and time. The original feature allowed you to drag onto a specific date which was nice and quick, but hopefully that method I found should also work for us!

Source:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b6dfed7b-1d34-4c4b-9d23-56b57034dce3/outlook-2013-drag-and-drop-to-calander?forum=officeitpro&prof=required

The whole point is that they have made the process slower. We want faster, not slower. Less clicks/keystrokes, not more.

While your "solution" arives at the same place, it's slower and therefore is not a "solution" to the problem of having to select a date as an extra step.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it "simplifying" or is it removing things that are not usable or are clumsy in a touch interface?

It appears that there is a new rule in MS. If it can't be done comfortably in a touch interface take it out. We don't want the touch-screen crowd to feel left out when they can't do what PC users can?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While your "solution" arives at the same place, it's slower and therefore is not a "solution" to the problem of having to select a date as an extra step.

If you type the date and time it's pretty fast. The date and time pickers are slow.  

Tab or Click in the date field and type the date as 8/1 (year not needed if it's within the next 11 3/.4 months - 'this week' dates are the exception. ) If it's 2 weeks from now, you can type 2w instead of looking up the date (use d for day and mo for month).  Can use 2w+1d format to mix days with weeks and months. It also accepts natural language - tomorrow, next week etc, but 1d or 1w is less typing. :)

Tab into the time field and type it as 1015 (a & p not needed for 12 hours beginning with start of workday hour)

More info: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/calendar/natural-language-phrases/

Diane Poremsky [M365 Apps & Services MVP]
My specialty is Outlook and Microsoft 365 issues.
https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net
Mark Yes below if it helped or resolved your issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it "simplifying" or is it removing things that are not usable or are clumsy in a touch interface?

It appears that there is a new rule in MS. If it can't be done comfortably in a touch interface take it out. We don't want the touch-screen crowd to feel left out when they can't do what PC users can?

That not why it was taken out - in fact, the navigation calendars on the left side in the calendar module still support drag and drop.  It's kinda pointless since they are only in the calendar, but if you use 2 outlook windows, you can drag between windows.

They redesigned the to-do feature and for whatever reason, needed to use a new navigation calendar control in the peek & to-do pane.  They broke everything with the new to-do's - I miss the extra calendars that come up if you widen the pane more than the drag and drop functionality.

Diane Poremsky [M365 Apps & Services MVP]
My specialty is Outlook and Microsoft 365 issues.
https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net
Mark Yes below if it helped or resolved your issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't believe this! However thanks for confirming this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How long will it take Microsoft to patch all their buggy products if they keep on adding features that send us back to the past? Here is another feature about Windows/Office that confirms one of my favorite quotes by Albert Einstein: "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2024 Views 21,676 Applies to: