Office 2013 and installing OCR for documenting scanning

Office 2013 and installing OCR for documenting scanning
I went through the following procedure

Launch Uninstall program, select Office2013, click change, select Add or Remove Features, click Continue, scroll down to Office Tools and expand it, select OCR.
In the drop down selection there are three small boxes,

Run from My Computer with blue background,
Installed on First use with 1 on it, and
Not Available with a red x through it.

I then clicked on the the box with 1 on it and it came up to the top of the highlighted OCR

Clicked continue and get the message "Configuring MS Office" . When it has finished, it states that it will be complete at the opening of the next Office program.

After that procedure, in Office 2007, when I went into Tools, I could see MS Office document imaging, but it's not there in Office 2013. Can anyone tell me where it's located?

The only difference in the procedure between 2007 and 2013 was that the former required the Office 2007 disk to instal the OCR while the latter did not ask for anything. If the disk is required for 2013, how can I get it to request it?

Hope someone can sort this out for me.
Answer
Answer
MODI is not part of Office 2013.  The OCR functionality is no longer standalone, it has been moved into OneNote and to a lesser degree Word.

You can paste images into OneNote then right click and select "Copy Text" into the clipboard. You can then paste it where required. It strips out formatting.

In Word, there is a form of OCR, you can now use FILE OPEN to edit PDF files. It takes any text that can be selected for COPY to clipboard and puts it into Word in editable form `along side graphics.  It isn't true OCR, but is useful.

Rather than scanning paper into OneNote instead of MODI.

If you want it, MODI is still available as part of other free program installation downloads.

The change to add OCR did not ask for a disk because all of the installation files are now stored on your HD.  If you desire an Official installation disk you can buy one from MS.  Or you can download the appropriate installation files from MS sites on the internet either in *.EXE formats that can be run directly off of your HD or USB drives, or in *.ISO formats that can be burned to a DVD to create a read only installation disk.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

41 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Go to the second one, 982760, it contains a link to download SharePoint 2007.  Then you can run the custom install and select to install online MODI.

MS does not acknowledge that users could have a legitimate reason for installing more than one version at the same time. So the installer defaults to uninstalling other versions unless you explicitly tell it to not do that.  And running 2 versions at the same time does require some manual registry hacking.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2023 Views 167,728 Applies to: