Excel 2013 Error: There was a problem sending the command to the program

I have a Windows 7 computer running recently installed Microsoft Office 2013.

Any time I try to open files created at work, or not created specifically on my computer, I get the error: "There was a problem sending the command to the program." Most files I am dealing with were created with Office 2010, and often as macro enabled documents (.xlsm).

The file then opens in Read Only (Compatibility Mode) with a new file name Xl0000001 (the file name increases by 1 sequentially every time I attempt to open a file).

Even if I then save the file with a new name and location using Excel 2013, attempting to reopen the newly saved file results in the same error and the whole process starting all over again.

Because of this I am unable to save changes to existing documents. This is a huge problem and I am at my wits end. Please help.

P.S. - Based on a search, I came across fix 50392 which seemed promising, but did nothing for me.
Answer
Answer
I had same problem. I solved it by Opening Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium >> Right-click and select "Change", and the select the "Online Repair" option. While I never learned the cause, this did fix it.

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 33,505 Applies to: