Access 2013 cannot open replicated 2010 database

When I try to open my 2010 database in Access 2013 I get an error message saying

The current version of Microsoft Access does not support replicated databases.  To use this database, open in a previous version of Microsoft Access.

How can I remove replication from my database.? 

When I try to open my 2010 database in Access 2013 I get an error message saying

The current version of Microsoft Access does not support replicated databases.  To use this database, open in a previous version of Microsoft Access.

How can I remove replication from my database.? 

You will have to remove the replication from within a previous version first using this method:

Go to this page:

http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/index.php?title=Replication_Wiki_Frequently_Asked_Jet_Replication_Questions_%28FAQ%29

And look down the list for the header:

I have a replicated MDB and I don't want it to be replicated any more. What do I do?

-----
Microsoft Access MVP 2008, 2009, 2011
If a post was helpful click the FOUND THIS HELPFUL link

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

To my regret, I've stupidly decided to update my MS Office 2010 to MS Office 2013.

I have several replicated databases. It worked perfectly with MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007, and 2010.
Replicated Databases was the way to share information between several computers without a dedicated server.
Right now, instead of enjoying MS Office 2013,
(a) I have a BIG headache  because I need to use those replicated databases immediately, and
(b) I need to waste a lot of time to fix the Microsoft Replication PROBLEM.

In addition, Microsoft should have been ready to
(a) inform customers about the replication issues in MS Access 2013, and
(b) ready to answer/provide help immediately.

Microsoft's web-site, "Changes in Office 2013", is not helpful at all.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178954.aspx

On the other hand, I really like the new MS Office 2013  interface - SOLIDLY SIMPLE, without showing/popping up too many unnecessary choices and selections, like MS Office 2010.

86 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

None of those links explain how to remove replication in a 2010 database.  Need to get this resolved and have two people spending way too much time trying to fix it. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

None of those links explain how to remove replication in a 2010 database.  Need to get this resolved and have two people spending way too much time trying to fix it. 
Make that 3 people who need this resolving as I to am running 2010 replicated database that now won't work in Access 2013

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Make that 3 people who need this resolving as I to am running 2010 replicated database that now won't work in Access 2013

I haven't used replication in Access 2007/2010, so please understand that I am writing theoretically. 

As I understand it, replication in Access 2010 is only supported for database files in the .mdb format, which (in A2010) is the Jet 4.0 format.  Tools such as those from the website linked by Bob Larson that work with the Jet 4.0 format, should work on Access 2010 replicated databases.  So if you don't have a copy of Access 2010 to use in manually unreplicating your database, you might try Michael Kaplan's "TSI Access 2000 Un-Replicator": http://www.trigeminal.com/lang/1033/utility.asp?ItemID=7#7 .  Yes, it says "Access 2000", but the important point is that it is targeting Jet 4.0. 

If that doesn't work, you could use the laborious manual procedure described in the KB article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290052 , "How to make a replicated database a regular database in Access 2002".  Again, the fact that is says "Access 2002" doesn't mean it won't work for a Access 2010, since the database must still be in the .mdb format used by Access 2002.

If you were hoping to actually use replication with Access 2013, I'm sorry but that will not be possible, as support for it was removed completely.  Your only option is to un-replicate the database and design another method to share/synchronize the data.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP 2001-2015
Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any suggestions what other method to use? The issue is that the small but very global team using the tool, is scattered around the world.

The tool becomes really slow, if the tables are sitting another continent and people are trying to fill them from 5000km away, as is the case, if you only link the tables in the tool.

The same slowness occurs with other methods which are using one centralized location for the tables such as sharepoint etc.

Replication seemed the only effective way to make the thing sort of local and global at the same time, when you could determine that the only slow bottleneck is when replicating the tool.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It may be possible to use SQL Server if you have it available and then use SQL Server Express on each machine using SQL Replication.  Or you can use Windows Terminal Services or Citrix to have everything in a central location and have people log in to that to run it.  We do that at my workplace.
-----
Microsoft Access MVP 2008, 2009, 2011
If a post was helpful click the FOUND THIS HELPFUL link

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2023 Views 16,989 Applies to: